What is your favorite dog breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
GeoTerraTestudo said:
The dog/wolf (Canis lupus) is my favorite animal, and I think the breeds I like best are probably spitz- and shepherd-type dogs that still resemble their wild ancestors to some extent. Growing up, we had a Siberian husky - German shepherd mix, and he was awesome. He's long gone now, but here is picture of him from years ago:

huskyshepherd.jpg

Wow, he's a beautiful dog. Almost looks like a Malamute. We had a husky/lab mix when I was really little. She was the best dog in the world.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pugs are awesome. Cane Corsos are awesome. Some of the best dogs I ever worked with were mutts.

Yes I have worked with other belgians. A few Groenendaels and a few Tervurens. There are some similarities, but the Mals have been on their own path for so long... I'd love to try out a Lakenois, but they are so rare. Never even come across one yet.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I've always heard that Mals do the working, Tervs are for show, and Groenendaels and Lakenois are used mainly for herding. Good to know that someone out there is still using tervs for something other than looking pretty :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I grow up with Shelties and always seem have one as a friend and companion . I have found with a gentle hand they will do anything you ask of them. I do tend to gravitate to the the working type. The period of time without a Sheltie I had a heelergolden cross who was a fanatastic gentle lady with all her family (once took on a larger Shepard cross that attacked the grand kids).

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Mishka300.JPGPekingese! I love my Mishka! My first Pekingese was Bijou and my puppy (18 years later) is Mishka. He is about one and a half years old now. I love him so much, he is my little doll. Interesting, he is very cat-like!

Attachments

• Bijou.jpg
    Bijou.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 34
  • mishka june 27,2012.JPG
    mishka june 27,2012.JPG
    562.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just like with tortoises, I could never pick just one breed of dog and usually it's more of an individual then a breed that I like. Over the years I have had the pleasure of loving so many wonderful animals and training and showing others. I think the only breed I would never want again would be a lab. I recently had a chihuahua. Now like somebody else said, I do tend to like the larger dogs and never would have guessed I would like the chi. I was proved to be so wrong, if I could have another one just like him, I would take it in a heart beat.

For the last couple of years, I have been really toying with going back into obedience work and trying agility. I have a major stumbling block of not being able to decide what breed I want to work with. :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
futureleopardtortoise said:
Wow, he's a beautiful dog. Almost looks like a Malamute. We had a husky/lab mix when I was really little. She was the best dog in the world.

Yes, it was very interesting. Crossing a Siberian husky with a German shepherd did result in a very Alaskan malamute-like dog. Franky (that was his name) had some features of both parent breeds, but overall looked more husky-like. However, weighing in at 80 lbs, he was about the same size as a malamute, only leaner in build. There are many husky-type dogs out there, and I think they are all really cool. :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Here are my two crazies:

CSC_0598.JPG

DSC_0105.JPG

Hopefully the pictures will show up. Holly, the first one, is getting a little old and rusty, but in her day she could do all sorts of jumps and flips in midair when playing frisbee. Apollo, the other one, is only two and while he's not much for frisbee, he's my neurotic little swimmer :) He also has quite a bit of herding instinct compared to most Border Collies I've had so that's also a challenge with him.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
As evidenced by my user name I have pugs! The first small dog I've ever had and they are amazing, intuitive, and hilarious. Often in the same 20 min span ;)
I grew up with labs and GSD's. Our next dog will be a big breed but there are so many that I love. I'm actually struggling with that right now. I want a Rottie, or Mastiff (a real dog) but we are a rafting, river based family, and they are so bone heavy. I'm a dog person for sure.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
562825_10150733375844742_1763951535_n.jpg428855_10151028268944742_2000621492_n.jpgCoreyc: I can not agree with you more on the Cane Corso, here is a pic of my 1 1/2 corso Lucian he is about 120lbs. And below is a picture of my english Bull Terrier Mckenzie.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
My love in dogs is the Great Pyrenees:) I'm not at my home computer but will have to post pics soon.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
Mine is Italian Greyhounds. I have shown and bred them since 1989. As for big dogs, it's a Gordon Setter.
IMAG0956-1-1.jpg

facebook_66640-1-1jpg-1.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have a Rat Terrier that I love, but I hate the shedding. I think I want to get a Poodle next. After my Lab passed away I swore I would never have a large dog again ( large dog = large poop pile) so I would like a toy Poodle. I have to have a dog that can be trained to stay with me and not dart off. Does anyone know if a poodle can be trained to not run off.

Status
Not open for further replies.