Status
Not open for further replies.

miccodan

5 Year Member
IMG_20130819_150407.jpg
IMG_20130819_150355.jpg
IMG_20130819_150345.jpg
IMG_20130819_150326.jpg
]My father has owned this box turtle for god knows how long but has never actually known what kind. He loves his Worms and veggies such as lettuce banana and grapes. He has to be at least 30 years old now. Any help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Kind like species? (such as ornate, three toed) or as in male/female?

Can you take a few more shots like of it's carapace(top shell) and the face/neck area?

miccodan

5 Year Member
Sorry for the continuous posts, I was having trouble with my browser

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am sorry too, seems more then one of us Mods were working on your thread at one time, so we may have lost some pictures. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like a three-toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). He/she also looks like he's in need of a bit more calcium in his diet. See the way the front toe nails curl all around in different directions? One of the first signs of MBD (metabolic bone disease). I'll bet the tail is just a little bitty stump too...another sign.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Sorry, Jacqui. I should have checked to see if another mod was online before I started moving and approving!)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne G said:
(Sorry, Jacqui. I should have checked to see if another mod was online before I started moving and approving!)

:D It's okay, Kelly was doing some work on it too. I realized what was happening as soon as my merge failed.

miccodan

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
It looks like a three-toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). He/she also looks like he's in need of a bit more calcium in his diet. See the way the front toe nails curl all around in different directions? One of the first signs of MBD (metabolic bone disease). I'll bet the tail is just a little bitty stump too...another sign.

Are you sure it is three toed? He has four toes on the back and his shell seems darker colored than a three toe?
has far as the MBD goes, can it be cured? are there any steps I should take ontop of providing extra calcium? is the disease transferable to other tortoises? even ones kept in the same enclosure?
Thanks for all your guys help in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I'm not sure...but most of the other box turtles will have darker markings on their plastrons than yours.

Metabolic bone disease is something an individual gets from not having enough calcium/sunshine in his diet. It's not something that is passed from body to body, except in that the other animals might also not be getting enough calcium/sunshine.

miccodan

5 Year Member
I have just taken over care of the turtle from my father who although loves his animals dearly and spoils them tremendously, does not always know the optimum way to care for them. I on the other hand am OCD about my animals from buying my dogs locally made dog food that costs us $70 a bag, to coming on this forum to find out what kind of turtle I have and how to care for it best. I will go and pick up some calcium powder today and sprinkle it on his food every other day. I am also in the process of building him an outdoor enclosure with burrows and all! I also own a leopard hatchling that I love tremendously.
If it is not a three-toed do you have any other suggestions has to what it might be?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have seen some eastern (Terrapene carolina carolina) box turtles that turn black and lose their patterning with age, however the plastron is also black. Occasionally you will find 3-toes with 4 toes on the back feet.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You don't need to sprinkle calcium if you provide cuttlebone. It's good for the beak as well as a good calcium source. Also, if the substrate isn't right it can lead to deformed toes.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My first thought was three toed as well. For what it's worth, I have a three toed box turtle with 4 toes on the back feet. And I know he is a three toed because I know who his parents are.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I give my box turtle hard boiled egg whites with shell for calcium, or some scrambled eggs with shell smashed in. She loves it :) our local rescue recommended this. Best of luck!

My Loves:
My Husband, 2 Dogs, 2 Box turtles, and 1 Betta fish

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Canyou give a few more pictures. It would help me determine the subspecies . It has alot of characteristics of a REALLY OLD dark colored female 3toed. Having four toes does happen on occasion with that subspecies

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think it might be an eastern, but I need better pictures. Can you wet the shell and take a couple outside in the sun?

miccodan

5 Year Member
diamondbp said:
Canyou give a few more pictures. It would help me determine the subspecies . It has alot of characteristics of a REALLY OLD dark colored female 3toed. Having four toes does happen on occasion with that subspecies

Yes, I will take pictures in a little while here, I appreciate all your guys help!

yagyujubei said:
I think it might be an eastern, but I need better pictures. Can you wet the shell and take a couple outside in the sun?
Yes, I will in a little while here, Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.