What kind of box turtle is she

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raeanncarr1

5 Year Member
I have been wondering what kind of box turtle I have where I got her they said western box turtle but I don't know because I think they just had no clue. At all lol

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
your avatar is not big enough to really see. Can you post a picture?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A western or desert box turtle is called Terrapene ornata luteola.

Raeanncarr1

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366047742.951017.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366047757.583499.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366047776.952532.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366047792.554907.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366047806.203073.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366047821.732109.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366047834.622802.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366047845.813786.jpg

Thanks but I'm not sure if she is a western box turtle

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
What a cutie! Looks like the shape and patterning of a three-toed box turtle to me. And those are three toes on its hind feet, right? I'm thinking that's what it is.

Raeanncarr1

5 Year Member
Yes on it's the toes on its back legs

No I live in mi why

CourtneyG said:
You live in WV right?

Nope MI

I wonder why the pet store would tell me that it's a Western because. I thought it was a three toe is it different care then. A western because that what I been doing its not my fault because I they told me it was. A western box turtle

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Raeanncarr1 said:
Yes on it's the toes on its back legs

No I live in mi why

CourtneyG said:
You live in WV right?

Nope MI

I wonder why the pet store would tell me that it's a Western because. I thought it was a three toe is it different care then. A western because that what I been doing its not my fault because I they told me it was. A western box turtle

Yeah, western box turtles (T. ornata) like it a bit drier and eat a bit more meat than their eastern cousins (T. carolina). But not to worry. Overall, the care is very similar in captivity, and if you've been treating your guy like a western, then that's still pretty well.

An experienced eye can tell the difference, but the folks at the pet store might have thought it was an ornate boxie because its carapace is a bit more colorful than you usually see in three-toeds, although it's not that uncommon. In any case, if you're going to misidentify a three-toed, at least have the decency to call it a Carolina box turtle. ;)

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Female 3 toed box turtle. Three toeds I found like water more then the others, mine always sit in water and love rain more then others

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
You can tell a lot about a box turtle's need for moisture by where it comes from. In order of driest to wettest habitat:

Desert box turtle < Ornate box turtle < Three-toed box turtle < Carolina box turtle < Florida box turtle < Gulf coast box turtle < Coahuila box turtle

There are other types, too, but those (except for the Coahuila boxie) are the most commonly encountered in the pet trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.