What kind of squash can my hermann have? and better to cook or grate it raw?

melyssaandmorla

I now have a bearded dragon and he eats alot of squash, I was wondering it my hermann can also have some. I cooked the squash to soften it but now I'm reading that raw is better. I have spaghetti and acorn squash. Dose it matter that I cooked it? How often can he have it?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets available.

Pictures of your tort and his enclosure would enable us to help you more easily.

melyssaandmorla

A warm welcome to the forum!

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets available.

Pictures of your tort and his enclosure would enable us to help you more easily.
20160606_172042_HDR.jpg Its a little hard to get his full enclosure haha its 3'×4' I use cypress multch and cocohusk. Has 2 hides ine food bowl and a water bowl with a ramp :) he made a bit of a mess haha just finished munching I guess :p

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy loves most any type squash , I feed it to him raw and diced up ! I also am inclined to not give it to him on a regular basis , since it gives him runny , loose stools ! :eek:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

Squash is something of a laxative for torts, so don't feed a lot or too often.

As far as your enclosure goes, those reptile bowls are a tipping hazard and should be removed.

Food is best served on a flat rock or piece of slate which help with beak maintenance.

Water is best served in a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Squash is good as part of a varied diet. I prefer to grate it and feed it to them raw. Cooking breaks down or removes some of the nutrients.

You can simply mix some grated squash into the rest of your greens a couple of times a weeks.

If you are growing your own, squash leaves and blooms are also really good tortoise food.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
The Tortoise Table states squash shouldnt be fed but it doesn't state why. And forum members say it's good to feed. Can someone explain? My torts do gobble up squash leaves though

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The Tortoise Table states squash shouldnt be fed but it doesn't state why. And forum members say it's good to feed. Can someone explain? My torts do gobble up squash leaves though
There are many types of squashes and they err on the side of caution. It's laxative effect is reason enough to take care. The leaves are different to the fruit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many types of squashes and they err on the side of caution. It's laxative effect is reason enough to take care. The leaves are different to the fruit.

I feed my tortoises whole pumpkins every fall. I mean I literally drop whole pumpkins in there and watch them disappear. I've never noticed any laxative effect.