What kind of Tortoise is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bergen, Norway
Hello.
I got this new guy about, 3-4 months ago.
We "rescued" him from a family who couldn't take care of him anymore.
They said it was a female, but I'm pretty sure it is a male.
They said he was about two years old - But I think he is more like 5-6 years old. They also said it was a T. H. Boettgeri but I'm wondering, I've had one Boettgeri male for 6 years now, and they look pretty different - Is the new guy a Boettgeri?

Attachments

• DSCI0448.JPG
    DSCI0448.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCI0449.JPG
    DSCI0449.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCI0435.JPG
    DSCI0435.JPG
    770.6 KB · Views: 88

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
That looks like a Marginated tortoise. Can't tell the gender, but I'm guessing female.

-Matt

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I did a google search and I think matt is right, it definitely looks like the ones I saw there.

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
Do you need any other pictures of this guy?
I'm confused, more than ever. I really have no idea, i thought he was a Testudo Hermanni... something.

Does anyone know what kind he is?

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a female who is half T.h.boettgeri and half T.h.hermanni. She looks like that except for the edge of her carapace is more rounded not flared out like that. But she looks pretty much like him...Are you positive Matt?

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
GBtortoises said:
It's a male Dalmatian Hermann's, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis

Woah, Thank you very much! :)

I now saw some pictures of that kind on google, and Yes - It looks like you are right!

Thanks again! :)

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
maggie3fan said:
I have a female who is half T.h.boettgeri and half T.h.hermanni. She looks like that except for the edge of her carapace is more rounded not flared out like that. But she looks pretty much like him...Are you positive Matt?

I was mainly looking at the large, flared marginal scutes. I'm no expert in Mediterranean tortoises.

-Matt

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
Thanks To all of you!

If there is an expert on these guys in here: Does he look healthy and do you know how old he is?

And does ANYONE have website or something i can check out about these Tortoises? I dont find anything and I've never had a Dalmatian Hermann's before so i might have to read a little about them.. Help me, please?

WARNING!!! DISTURBING FOOTAGES!! (At the end of this article)
Well... I found something: http://www.testudo-farm.de/html/dalmatian_tortoise.html

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There isn't a whole lot of information available on the web specifically on Dalmatian Hermann's. Their acceptance as a true subspecies is still debatable by many. German researchers, breeders and keepers generally accept the subspecies, The English generally don't. Here in the U.S. the subspecies is being accepted by many long time breeders but is relatively unknown otherwise. Based on comparison of my own Easterns and Dalmatians and all that I've read from a few German researchers, I personally believe that T. h. hercegovinensis is a valid subspecies. There are a couple of good books available on Hermann's that go into great detail of their natural history and captive care. Both books are from Germann authors and available in English.

Your's looks good, obviously captive raised and probably primarily indoors. I think you're correct in believing that he is over two years old. With no measurement or size comparison, based only on the photos I'd guess about 4-6 years old. How big is he scl?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree with Gary, it's a male Dalmation Hermanns, Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis. I would say he was 6 or 7 years old. :D

Danny

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
GBtortoises said:
There isn't a whole lot of information available on the web specifically on Dalmatian Hermann's. Their acceptance as a true subspecies is still debatable by many. German researchers, breeders and keepers generally accept the subspecies, The English generally don't. Here in the U.S. the subspecies is being accepted by many long time breeders but is relatively unknown otherwise. Based on comparison of my own Easterns and Dalmatians and all that I've read from a few German researchers, I personally believe that T. h. hercegovinensis is a valid subspecies. There are a couple of good books available on Hermann's that go into great detail of their natural history and captive care. Both books are from Germann authors and available in English.

Your's looks good, obviously captive raised and probably primarily indoors. I think you're correct in believing that he is over two years old. With no measurement or size comparison, based only on the photos I'd guess about 4-6 years old. How big is he scl?

Thanks for all the info! :)
What do you mean by "scl"?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
SCL stands for straight carapace length, or straight center line. It means you measure the tortoise from front to back in a straight line, not curving up over the shell.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"What do you mean by "scl"?"

SCL = Straightline Carapace Length. It's the accepted way to measure a tortoise or turtle. It's the measurement taken from the forward most edge of the carapace (top shell) to the rear most edge in a straight line distance. Not up over the top of the dome.

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
FernandoM said:
Lucky you!
Thanks, he is a really cool guy :)

And thanks to you GBtortoises and emysemys!

He is slightly longer than 5 inches long (13cm).

When he came to us he was very shy and afraid of any movemets. But in the last few weeks he has became more and more outgoing.
The last guys who had him really loved him but they didn't feet like they took good care of him, they had three kids and had busy days. I really don't think he has any helathproblems. But he's eyes are kinda different from my Boettgeri..

Status
Not open for further replies.