What other water turtles can go together

boyde83

5 Year Member
What other turtle can go in tank with musk and razorback

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Look up the indigenous species for the area your turtles are from. Most of them will mix. I have painted in with my musk. They live in different areas of the tank and hardly, if ever, cross paths. That will change when they get bigger but for now they aren't even as big as quarters.

boyde83

5 Year Member
Im just setting up a huge new tank which will have everything they cld want , I've tried google the question coz want them grow bout same time but google useless

Im just setting up a huge new tank which will have everything they cld want , I've tried google the question coz want them grow bout same time but google useless

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
There are quite a few water turtle people here that will jump in. Water turtles are a bit different in their cohabitation. They will share a pond or creek all the time in the wild, unlike terestrials that hardly ever run into one another. Just make sure the turtles you house together are actually found that way in the wild. I am currently planning a large tank for some painteds. I love those little guys. I will probably put a musk in there as well just to add that grumpy old guy that lives under the bridge feel. Incidently, they all eat about the same things as babies but some grow into almost exclusive vegetarians (Red ears) while others stay mostly carnivores.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the mud-type turtles don't swim well, and need to have a sloping substrate so they can walk up to breathe, rather than having to swim up to the surface. So because of that, I wouldn't put something like a slider or something that was going to wreck my sloping substrate.

boyde83

5 Year Member
My guys love to swim its strange but i also have cliffs for them to climb and other stuff , Rozor is loves to dog and moon walk

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and have a good turtle day !
All I've seen is watch their temperament
Some are loners
But when it comes to feeding if just one
Turtle will try to eat something then everybody wants it but if nobody will try it then it don't get eaten .
All of mine love dried banana slices

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Its mostly a size issue rather than a species issue. Musk turtles usually get along fine with any species. In the 30 years of dealing with water turtles I never noticed any aggression between musk and other species, only between larger male musk and younger females lol

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yvonne G said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the mud-type turtles don't swim well, and need to have a sloping substrate so they can walk up to breathe, rather than having to swim up to the surface. So because of that, I wouldn't put something like a slider or something that was going to wreck my sloping substrate.

My razorbacks swim
As well as any other turtle, I have mine in a non sloping tank, they seem to hold there own

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
My little musks swim like, well, like water turtles, lol. But they are bottom dwellers for the most part. They will generally find a good place to hide and scare you into thinking they got stuck and died. They will do this no matter how many times you rearrange the tank to keep it from happening. I solve the problem of shallow vs deep by having a platform for basking instead of a floating dock style. This does two things. It gives baskers a place to bask and bottom dwellars a place to dwell. Two small terra cotta saucers with a piece of driftwood works well. I also have one set up with a lizard water dish set at an angle so there is a basking ledge and a small "pond" in the middle. Like a little oasis in the tank. I gave my water babies away(Nephew's birthday present) but am currently working on getting some more.