What part of the pumpkin is good?

erica anne

5 Year Member
This is the first time I am feeding Franklin a pumpkin. I got one of the smaller pie pumpkins, hopefully that's okay. Can he eat any part of the pumpkin? Are there parts of the pumpkin that I should not feed him? Thank you!!

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I bought a pie pumpkin too. I cut it into chunks and removed the guts and seeds. My torts wouldn't eat it. I have 3 sulcatas and even my 8.5 lb girl wouldn't touch it. They love canned pumpkin so maybe I did something wrong???

erica anne

5 Year Member
I think I read that some people purée it before feeding it to their tortoises. I just wasn't sure if the rind was okay or not. I figured the seeds and pulp were probably something that shouldn't be eaten. So far he hasn't shown much interest either...

sissyofone said:
I bought a pie pumpkin and put it in blender till it was mush. Mine gobbled it up.:D

I will try this!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Are your tortoises small still? They were probably all what is that? Whoa big orange thing .... may try to eat us .... ruuuunnnnn! LOL. Cutting it up into smaller chucks might be good. I have also used a potato peeler to peel the pumpkin meat for my two little Greeks. Worked.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I didnt use the rind but my blender chopped meat and seeds up into mush and they all ate it. However i do now wonder if the rind would be safe for them.

erica anne

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Are your tortoises small still? They were probably all what is that? Whoa big orange thing .... may try to eat us .... ruuuunnnnn! LOL. Cutting it up into smaller chucks might be good. I have also used a potato peeler to peel the pumpkin meat for my two little Greeks. Worked.

He is 10 in and has never seen a pumpkin. I laughed at your comment. He probably was suspicious of it lol. I will use a potato peel and see if he goes for it then. thanks!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

It would sure be easier to prepare if we could keep the rind on!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I chop off a hunk and grate it on a box grater, then sprinkle that over greens for my juvenile DTs. They love it, but their beaks are too small to break it up without me grating it first.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Health benefits of Pumpkin
It is one of the very low calorie vegetables. 100 g fruit provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, it is rich in dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins. The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.
Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E.
With 7384 mg per 100 g, it is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family featuring highest levels of vitamin-A, providing about 246% of RDA. Vitamin A is a powerful natural anti-oxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucus membranes. It is also an essential vitamin for good visual sight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin A help a body protects against lung and oral cavity cancers.
It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin. Carotenes convert into vitamin A inside the body.
Zea-xanthinis a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in retina of the eyes. Thus, it helps protect from "age-related macular disease" (ARMD) in the elderly.
The fruit is a good source of B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.
It is also rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
Pumpkin seedsindeed are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health. In addition, the seeds are concentrated sources of protein, minerals and health-benefiting vitamins. For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%)etc., but no cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is converted to GABA in the brain.

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/pumpkin.html

:shy:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Wash it well with warm soapy water, rinse well and the whole thing is edible, seeds, rind, squishy stuff with the seeds, all of it.

The green part of pumpkin vines, leaves and vine are good too.

Small tortouses should not be offered the seeds, but larger ones, it's ok.

Small chunks microwaved and cooled, grated raw, potato peeler slices, its all good.

Will