What Should I Know About my Male Sulcatas

Madkathq

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Elsinore
Hello all, long time no see. I have recently found out that my two sulcata tortoises are male, due to a very funny story about me not recognizing their penises. For some reason, it never occurred to me that they might be male. Maybe that was my own bias, and I've learned my lesson.

Now I'm here to learn about all of the specifics about having a male sulcata. I've realized that there is a lot of things that I do not know that pertains specifically to males. Like, I have an experienced vet who is done many penectemys (removal of the penis, I know my spelling is atrocious) on tortoises before, but should I get them?

What are some of the common issues I might face having a male tortoise? I would like to note that I keep them both separately with ample room to roam.

Should I expect discharge from the penis?

Will they always like to let it hang like they have been recently?

What should I know that I won't think to ask?

I will be asking my vet more, but I value the experience of the longtime members of this forum and home that this thread is valuable to others as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have leopards, males. My one only flashed around 3 years of age and hasn't since.
As long as they do not live together, you shouldn't really see much different then if they were females. You shouldn't really do anything except give them each a very large, very large safe area to roam, hide box or shed to be locked into at night and heated for the cold times.
No surgery unless there is ever a medical reason for it. They should eventually stop flashing all the time. But yes they still can flash here and there.
@Tom can tell ya if there is anything different with a male sully compared to my male leopards.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good to read that you house & keep them separately. Other than being occasionally flashed, you don’t really have to do much different. No reason to be scheduling any surgeries.

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
I have leopards, males. My one only flashed around 3 years of age and hasn't since.
As long as they do not live together, you shouldn't really see much different then if they were females. You shouldn't really do anything except give them each a very large, very large safe area to roam, hide box or shed to be locked into at night and heated for the cold times.
No surgery unless there is ever a medical reason for it. They should eventually stop flashing all the time. But yes they still can flash here and there.
@Tom can tell ya if there is anything different with a male sully compared to my male leopards.

Thank you for the input!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all, long time no see. I have recently found out that my two sulcata tortoises are male, due to a very funny story about me not recognizing their penises. For some reason, it never occurred to me that they might be male. Maybe that was my own bias, and I've learned my lesson.

Now I'm here to learn about all of the specifics about having a male sulcata. I've realized that there is a lot of things that I do not know that pertains specifically to males. Like, I have an experienced vet who is done many penectemys (removal of the penis, I know my spelling is atrocious) on tortoises before, but should I get them?

What are some of the common issues I might face having a male tortoise? I would like to note that I keep them both separately with ample room to roam.

Should I expect discharge from the penis?

Will they always like to let it hang like they have been recently?

What should I know that I won't think to ask?

I will be asking my vet more, but I value the experience of the longtime members of this forum and home that this thread is valuable to others as well.
First know that vets know little about tortoise care and typically give bad advice regarding all things tortoise. It would be wonderful if your vet were one of the rare exceptions to this, but it doesn't sound that way so far.

There is nothing special to know about males. They eat the same things and have the same housing, heating and hydration needs as females.

Here is one way to house them separately, but still only have one heated night house:

Madkathq

Lake Elsinore
First know that vets know little about tortoise care and typically give bad advice regarding all things tortoise. It would be wonderful if your vet were one of the rare exceptions to this, but it doesn't sound that way so far.

There is nothing special to know about males. They eat the same things and have the same housing, heating and hydration needs as females.

Here is one way to house them separately, but still only have one heated night house:
Thank you so much! I took one of my males out of their bioactive enclosure and put him in to a sterile environment due to a small cut and he keeps sticking out his penis and excreting clear mucous that coats it-- should I be worried? He left a small puddle of it yesterday

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much! I took one of my males out of their bioactive enclosure and put him in to a sterile environment due to a small cut and he keeps sticking out his penis and excreting clear mucous that coats it-- should I be worried? He left a small puddle of it yesterday
What size are your boys?

I wouldn’t worry about the discharge. Just keep them hydrated.