WHAT SOIL?

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Taunton, MA
I live in the USA. I have read many post about what substrate is best for different torts.. I am allergic to coconut so thats out of the question. I want to use soil in my enclosure. Something i can pick up at a home depot or lowes.. can you please help.. i have no idea whats safe and whats not!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what it is made of. Could be something toxic like oleander, azaleas, or lawn chemicals on grass clippings. Soil is also far to messy.

What species and size tortoise are you housing? Fine grade orchid bark is my substrate of choice for most situations.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. It is made from composted yard waste and there is no way to know what it is made of. Could be something toxic like oleander, azaleas, or lawn chemicals on grass clippings. Soil is also far to messy.

What species and size tortoise are you housing? Fine grade orchid bark is my substrate of choice for most situations.
I am getting a baby hermanns tort.. my enclosure is 6ft x 3ft