What species is my tortoise?

CharlieS

Hi! Can anyone tell me what species this tortoise is? I think an African Spurred or Suclata tortoise.

image.jpg

The long story is that we had a Medeterranian Desert tortoise for a number of years, but he recently escaped. We posted "lost" signs around the neighborhood and after a month someone visiting the area, but not living nearby, called saying they found a tortoise (a few miles away). They kindy brought it by so we could look at it. Sadly, it wasn't our tortoise. The finders didn't know what to do with it, so we agreed to foster it while looking for it's owner. We'd like to be sure we have the right environment and foods for it while it's here with us. I believe that it is a Suclat, African Spurred tortoise (Centrochelys sulcata).

Help me know it's species? Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 19

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
And don't give up on your other one yet. I know a lady here in town who lost her tortoise and it showed up three months later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope you get your tortoise back. You are correct, this one is a sulcata.

Welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
great looking tortoise was raised pretty well

CharlieS

Thank you all! What a great, active & helpful group. I found another link to a Care Sheet, but I'll scour the ones above. He/she is a neautiful tortoise. I can't believe it's just been "wild", yet where it was found has been dry & hot (little vegetation and virtually no water).
I've read the guys can REALLY eat and actually don't know to stop before regurgitating.
Good news is that we have the room with sun, shade & protected areas for him to be comfortable, roam & burrow. More grass & sand than these pics show.

image.jpg image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's not wild. Someone is missing him very much. He has been very well taken care of. You should make every effort to find his owners. You know how your are missing your tortoise - well, they are missing theirs too.

CharlieS

He's not wild. Someone is missing him very much. He has been very well taken care of. You should make every effort to find his owners. You know how your are missing your tortoise - well, they are missing theirs too.

Hi Yvonne,
I see your "top contributor" rating in the forum. You are right! Our "lost" turtle was my wifes for 10+ years before we married 5 years ago amd she is sick guilty for his being gone. We can 100% relate to any owner of this fellow missing him dearly. We don't want to post a bunch of "found" posters, since this will onvite profiteers. We'll watch intermet (craigslist lost & found). I see tortoise.com and tortoise.org and such orgs might have local presence where owners could go. I welcome any other ideas on locating the true owner. We had most calls on our signs from people wanting to sell us search methods. The NBC TV affilloate wanted to ntervoew my wife. That didn't happen.
Thx!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi Yvonne,
I see your "top contributor" rating in the forum. You are right! Our "lost" turtle was my wifes for 10+ years before we married 5 years ago amd she is sick guilty for his being gone. We can 100% relate to any owner of this fellow missing him dearly. We don't want to post a bunch of "found" posters, since this will onvite profiteers. We'll watch intermet (craigslist lost & found). I see tortoise.com and tortoise.org and such orgs might have local presence where owners could go. I welcome any other ideas on locating the true owner. We had most calls on our signs from people wanting to sell us search methods. The NBC TV affilloate wanted to ntervoew my wife. That didn't happen.
Thx!

You can post found tortoise posters without a picture or a mention or species or size - make the owners contact you and describe/provide a photo of their lost tortoise. Putting fliers up to let people know you found a tortoise is a kindness - the owners may have lost him weeks ago and given up hope posting new ads themselves.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Charlie and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Try local vets and animal rescue places, people often go to them about missing tortoises.
Good luck in finding your beloved tortoise and finding the quite possibly heartbroken owners of the very beautiful and well cared for sulcata.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
That is a beautiful tort. Glad to hear you are caring for him while you search for the owner.

CharlieS

You can post found tortoise posters without a picture or a mention or species or size - make the owners contact you and describe/provide a photo of their lost tortoise. Putting fliers up to let people know you found a tortoise is a kindness - the owners may have lost him weeks ago and given up hope posting new ads themselves.
THX! Great thoughts. I had similar after "sleeping" on it last night. He just arrived yesterday late afternoon, so I was just gearing up on "How to...". #1 was H2O, food and shelter.

CharlieS

Hi, Charlie and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Try local vets and animal rescue places, people often go to them about missing tortoises.
Good luck in finding your beloved tortoise and finding the quite possibly heartbroken owners of the very beautiful and well cared for sulcata.
THX! Great thoughts. I had similar after "sleeping" on it last night. He just arrived yesterday late afternoon, so I was just gearing up on "How to...". #1 was H2O, food and shelter.

CharlieS

I LIKE IT! Any (obviously caring) owner of such a creature would have family pictures readily available.
I will also cruise that area to watch for "lost" signs.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
You could also contact the local animal control office and let them know you found a tortoise. Many people report their lost pets to animal control.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome Charlie, in the event you cant find his owners he is lucky he found his way to you . :)

CharlieS

Signs are posted in the neighborhood where he was found. Animal shelter, animal control, humane society all said "CraigsList Lost & Found". There is also something called www.NextDoor.com that focuses postings (including lost & found) within members based on your zip code (assuming you want to post to your neighbors). You can select just your area and add neighboring areas. They too have a Lost & Found.

Well, off to the grocery store. This guy eats alot!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Signs are posted in the neighborhood where he was found. Animal shelter, animal control, humane society all said "CraigsList Lost & Found". There is also something called www.NextDoor.com that focuses postings (including lost & found) within members based on your zip code (assuming you want to post to your neighbors). You can select just your area and add neighboring areas. They too have a Lost & Found.

Well, off to the grocery store. This guy eats alot!!
Hungry tort! They are eating machines sometimes.
Thanks for putting in the effort.