What species of plants do Sulcata's EAT EXACTLY IN THEIR WILD HABITAT?

Southshore

Location (City and/or State)
Karachi
Hello Everyone! Hope you and your torts are doing great!

As some of you members already know I rescued a Sulcata a month back and been trying to implement the diet in the diet pinned thread. I have had quite some success since in the beginning he wasn't eating ANYTHING on that list! Now he is doing much better

For my own general knowledge, I have been really curious as to EXACTLY what species of plants do they sustain themselves on/ eat in their NATIVE WILD HABITAT IN AFRICA?

If anyone can please name these species of plants I would be really grateful and would add IMMENSELY to my knowledge of these amazing being!

Thank you for taking out the time to go through my post/. Hope to hear from lots of you soon! 👍🏻

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Everyone! Hope you and your torts are doing great!

As some of you members already know I rescued a Sulcata a month back and been trying to implement the diet in the diet pinned thread. I have had quite some success since in the beginning he wasn't eating ANYTHING on that list! Now he is doing much better

For my own general knowledge, I have been really curious as to EXACTLY what species of plants do they sustain themselves on/ eat in their NATIVE WILD HABITAT IN AFRICA?

If anyone can please name these species of plants I would be really grateful and would add IMMENSELY to my knowledge of these amazing being!

Thank you for taking out the time to go through my post/. Hope to hear from lots of you soon! 👍🏻
There are a little over 3,000 plant species in all of North America. There are over 22,000 in South Africa alone....

No one could possibly know the answer to this question as it just depends what is growing in a given region at a given time of year. Sulcatas have a huge range spanning most of the top of Africa. There will be a different list of plants in Senegal to the west than in the Sudan to the east. Imagine a single species of herbivore that lives in CA and all the way across the country to the east coast, and asking what plants does that species eat. It's very likely different plant species in CA than it would be in FL, and very likely different lists of plants at different times of year in each region. There are likely 1000s of plant that would be on a list like this.

Complicating the answer further is that plants from various parts of the world have been relocated to other parts of the world for centuries. While I can't say from first hand experience, I'm quite certain that non-native plants have also invaded the Sahel regions where sulcatas come from. So whatever it is they eat in a given area at a given time of year, it might not even be native plants anyway.

You might search around and try to figure out:
1. Where do sulcatas currently still occur in the wild. Sulcatas are highly endangered in the wild, and presumed extinct from at least two countries in their native range.
2. What plant species occur in those areas.
3. Which of those plant species would be readily available, safe, and palatable for a sulcata to eat.
4. There might be a section in "The Crying Tortoise" that lists some of those plants. Its been years since I read it, but I vaguely recall some mention of what they eat in the wild.

I get why you are asking, and I think that is super cool, but it's not an easy answer. I know of three plants that I grow or scrounge that naturally occur in Africa. I do not know if any of the three occur in areas where a wild sulcata could eat them.
1. Goat head weed, also called puncture weed, Tribulus terrestris. If you grow this one, harvest it before or as soon as you start to see seed head forming. Do NOT let it go to seed, or you will regret it terribly.
2. Bermuda grass, Cynodont dactylon.
3. African hibiscus, Hibiscus sabradiffa. My friend Tomas from Senegal brought me some of these seeds and said that he feeds this one to the tortoises that he works with at the African Chelonian Institute.

Fluffy

10 Year Member!
West Virginia
There are a little over 3,000 plant species in all of North America. There are over 22,000 in South Africa alone....
Where did you get that there are only 3,000 plant species in all of North America?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
In Jamaica we have abundant "Guinea Grass," which is actually invasive from long ago and originates in Africa. Sulcata tortoises definitely eat this grass. Also, Opuntia cactus, which is abundant here and worldwide in warm regions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where did you get that there are only 3,000 plant species in all of North America?
My friend Google says there are 13,345 native plant species in N.A. Probably Tom made an omission typo and lost the 1 at the front?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think that was supposed to be just the American southwest... It was comparing the number of plant species available to our desert tortoises here in the states to the number available to a South African tortoise. The point is that there were a lot more over there than here. This info was given during a Chersina presentation at the TTPG one year.

Fluffy

10 Year Member!
West Virginia
I think that was supposed to be just the American southwest... It was comparing the number of plant species available to our desert tortoises here in the states to the number available to a South African tortoise. The point is that there were a lot more over there than here. This info was given during a Chersina presentation at the TTPG one year.
That makes sense. I just thought I remembered hearing there was something like 2,500 plant species in West Virginia. That number just seemed really low for North America. I understood the point of your post though.

Southshore

Karachi

No one could possibly know the answer to this question as it just depends what is growing in a given region at a given time of year. Sulcatas have a huge range spanning most of the top of Africa. There will be a different list of plants in Senegal to the west than in the Sudan to the east. Imagine a single species of herbivore that lives in CA and all the way across the country to the east coast, and asking what plants does that species eat. It's very likely different plant species in CA than it would be in FL, and very likely different lists of plants at different times of year in each region. There are likely 1000s of plant that would be on a list like this.

Complicating the answer further is that plants from various parts of the world have been relocated to other parts of the world for centuries. While I can't say from first hand experience, I'm quite certain that non-native plants have also invaded the Sahel regions where sulcatas come from. So whatever it is they eat in a given area at a given time of year, it might not even be native plants anyway.

You might search around and try to figure out:
1. Where do sulcatas currently still occur in the wild. Sulcatas are highly endangered in the wild, and presumed extinct from at least two countries in their native range.
2. What plant species occur in those areas.
3. Which of those plant species would be readily available, safe, and palatable for a sulcata to eat.
4. There might be a section in "The Crying Tortoise" that lists some of those plants. Its been years since I read it, but I vaguely recall some mention of what they eat in the wild.

I get why you are asking, and I think that is super cool, but it's not an easy answer. I know of three plants that I grow or scrounge that naturally occur in Africa. I do not know if any of the three occur in areas where a wild sulcata could eat them.
1. Goat head weed, also called puncture weed, Tribulus terrestris. If you grow this one, harvest it before or as soon as you start to see seed head forming. Do NOT let it go to seed, or you will regret it terribly.
2. Bermuda grass, Cynodont dactylon.
3. African hibiscus, Hibiscus sabradiffa. My friend Tomas from Senegal brought me some of these seeds and said that he feeds this one to the tortoises that he works with at the African Chelonian Institute.
Hey Tom, I can't thank you enough for this reply. It's more comprehensive than I could ever have imagined! What you are saying makes so much sense.

When I asked the question I didn't mean to know all of the plants they eat, I was hoping for a list of like about 10 which are INDIGENOUS to wherever they are in the wild now. This came to mind because I said hey, I don't know of a single plant that they eat that grows where they live! I hope you can relate to my curiosity.

I will definitely do the research you have recommended and share my findings. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Southshore

Karachi
In Jamaica we have abundant "Guinea Grass," which is actually invasive from long ago and originates in Africa. Sulcata tortoises definitely eat this grass. Also, Opuntia cactus, which is abundant here and worldwide in warm regions.
Thank you Tammy for the kind information!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
IF you are interested - here is an excerpt I copied from The Crying Tortoise. Probably the most complete answer available to your specific question...

"In the wild, G. sulcata feed on numerous plants, but also eat quantities of dry food such as peanut stalks, dry leaves, and detritus of all kinds, cactaceous plants, twigs and pebbles. Geophagy seems important in this species, either to find calcium and mineral salts, or as a stomach mill to break up plant fibres. These tortoises appear to feed mainly on hay and dry plants, sometimes preferring dry nutrients to succulent fruit, or fresh green vegetation. In a way G. sulcata is a ruminant reptile. In the wild they are seen eating thorny plants, Ipomaea leaves, acacias, the bark of trees and debris found under thickets, but also water melons and particularly mangoes that have fallen from trees. Opuntia cactus plants found around villages, or zebu enclosures are equally sort out. Of course, after wintering they are seen feeding on new plants, ie: Eleltsine indica, Dactylocteniltm aegyptium, Digitaria ciliaris, Eragrostis tenella. They also eat Portulaca oleracea, Cassia obtusifolia and Commelina benghalensis. Among trees, they relish the fruit from Balanites aegyptica, Faidherbia albida, Acacia adansonii. Sometimes they are seen eating floating grass and algae when they enter flood-water areas in the Djoudj, and around Mopti. The energy requirements of this species are important, especially in spring during laying, and after wintering during the mating period. There again, the cyclical and annual characteristic of their habits is clear-cut. They will feed vigorously for many weeks, followed by a complete break of several months. This explains the significant carapace grooves, as these growth rings correspond to a very contrasted metabolism, active during some months and passive during others. In addition to vegetation, they frequently eat flesh, essentially carrion from dead animals. Their sharp beak is able to cut up dead goats, or even zebus. As with Dipsochelys elephantina on Aldabra, we have seen them tear dead rabbits, or desert foxes with great relish. Animals such as jerboas, desert foxes, and even snakes, frequently die in the tortoises' multi-chambered burrows. These carcasses are a beneficial source of calcium and carbohydrates for G. sulcata. They may also chasse insects, or small monitor lizards, crunching them rapidly. They also bolt down ruminant, or carnivore faeces with apparent enjoyment. For tortoises, this is the only benefit they derive from herds living in the Sahel, especially during periods of famine. We shall see under BEHAVIOR that tortoises may store reserves of hay.

A continuous study of animals in the wild would provide a better knowledge of their preferred food and the ratio between the quantity of food consumed and weight increase. Significant individual differences appear to exist in the amount of food intake. Females eat less than males, but this is related to their smaller mass. Males seem to eat in a more aggressive manner, and feed on dead animals and faeces more than females, which graze passively around their burrows. Around some towns and villages, tortoises have been seen scavenging in dustbins and heaps of rubbish. In this instance, they behave like adapted predators, such as bears in Canada, foxes in Europe, or seagulls and raptors all over the world. Like such reptiles as large monitor lizards in southeast Asia, they rummage in rubbish and eat remains of meals, vegetable waste, and will also ingest scraps of fabric, cardboard, in fact anything that will fill their stomach. Some tortoises, like sea turtles, die from swallowing plastic bags. We have autopsied many specimens and found their stomachs filled with plastic waste, capsules, bits of bone and iron. This obviously shows the geophagy of G. sulcata. When feeding from the ground they consume large quantities of earth and sand. Some tortoises were seen looking for stones to gulp down, as recorded in other species like Testudo hermanii (Devaux 1996). X-rays would indicate if the ingestion of stones is considerable. Post-mortem examination show animals with no stodge in the stomach and bowels, and about one third of the others have gravel, or occasionally large stones in the digestive tracts. Some of the stones are white and calcareous, which could be explained by the need to find natural calcium, a phenomenon also recorded in Testudo, but other stones are neither white nor calcareous. When tortoises are bred on concrete, or an artificial surface, their digestion sometimes becomes difficult and health declines. This could he partly due to the inability to take in earth, sand, or gravel."

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Can you post more about what it says in the Behavior section about sulcatas possibly storing hay?
Yep, I have read a thread here on the forum about a sulcata that would carry and transport hay in his mouth. Wonder if that is what was going on.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you post more about what it says in the Behavior section about sulcatas possibly storing hay?
Here you go.

From The Crying Tortoise by Bernard Devaux:

"At the end of 1997, M. Benoil from ORSTOM observed a G. sulcata behaving in a Strange manner in W Park. In October the rainy season is over and the grass starts to wither. This naturalist saw the animal mow the dry grass with its forked gular and bring these small hay bundles into its burrow, carrying them between fork and neck. This action was repeated several times, as if to store food. In this region, tortoises spend part of winter in their burrows, being mainly active in May and June. M. Benoit thinks that they heap up a store in case of scarcity."

Southshore

Karachi
IF you are interested - here is an excerpt I copied from The Crying Tortoise. Probably the most complete answer available to your specific question...

"In the wild, G. sulcata feed on numerous plants, but also eat quantities of dry food such as peanut stalks, dry leaves, and detritus of all kinds, cactaceous plants, twigs and pebbles. Geophagy seems important in this species, either to find calcium and mineral salts, or as a stomach mill to break up plant fibres. These tortoises appear to feed mainly on hay and dry plants, sometimes preferring dry nutrients to succulent fruit, or fresh green vegetation. In a way G. sulcata is a ruminant reptile. In the wild they are seen eating thorny plants, Ipomaea leaves, acacias, the bark of trees and debris found under thickets, but also water melons and particularly mangoes that have fallen from trees. Opuntia cactus plants found around villages, or zebu enclosures are equally sort out. Of course, after wintering they are seen feeding on new plants, ie: Eleltsine indica, Dactylocteniltm aegyptium, Digitaria ciliaris, Eragrostis tenella. They also eat Portulaca oleracea, Cassia obtusifolia and Commelina benghalensis. Among trees, they relish the fruit from Balanites aegyptica, Faidherbia albida, Acacia adansonii. Sometimes they are seen eating floating grass and algae when they enter flood-water areas in the Djoudj, and around Mopti. The energy requirements of this species are important, especially in spring during laying, and after wintering during the mating period. There again, the cyclical and annual characteristic of their habits is clear-cut. They will feed vigorously for many weeks, followed by a complete break of several months. This explains the significant carapace grooves, as these growth rings correspond to a very contrasted metabolism, active during some months and passive during others. In addition to vegetation, they frequently eat flesh, essentially carrion from dead animals. Their sharp beak is able to cut up dead goats, or even zebus. As with Dipsochelys elephantina on Aldabra, we have seen them tear dead rabbits, or desert foxes with great relish. Animals such as jerboas, desert foxes, and even snakes, frequently die in the tortoises' multi-chambered burrows. These carcasses are a beneficial source of calcium and carbohydrates for G. sulcata. They may also chasse insects, or small monitor lizards, crunching them rapidly. They also bolt down ruminant, or carnivore faeces with apparent enjoyment. For tortoises, this is the only benefit they derive from herds living in the Sahel, especially during periods of famine. We shall see under BEHAVIOR that tortoises may store reserves of hay.

A continuous study of animals in the wild would provide a better knowledge of their preferred food and the ratio between the quantity of food consumed and weight increase. Significant individual differences appear to exist in the amount of food intake. Females eat less than males, but this is related to their smaller mass. Males seem to eat in a more aggressive manner, and feed on dead animals and faeces more than females, which graze passively around their burrows. Around some towns and villages, tortoises have been seen scavenging in dustbins and heaps of rubbish. In this instance, they behave like adapted predators, such as bears in Canada, foxes in Europe, or seagulls and raptors all over the world. Like such reptiles as large monitor lizards in southeast Asia, they rummage in rubbish and eat remains of meals, vegetable waste, and will also ingest scraps of fabric, cardboard, in fact anything that will fill their stomach. Some tortoises, like sea turtles, die from swallowing plastic bags. We have autopsied many specimens and found their stomachs filled with plastic waste, capsules, bits of bone and iron. This obviously shows the geophagy of G. sulcata. When feeding from the ground they consume large quantities of earth and sand. Some tortoises were seen looking for stones to gulp down, as recorded in other species like Testudo hermanii (Devaux 1996). X-rays would indicate if the ingestion of stones is considerable. Post-mortem examination show animals with no stodge in the stomach and bowels, and about one third of the others have gravel, or occasionally large stones in the digestive tracts. Some of the stones are white and calcareous, which could be explained by the need to find natural calcium, a phenomenon also recorded in Testudo, but other stones are neither white nor calcareous. When tortoises are bred on concrete, or an artificial surface, their digestion sometimes becomes difficult and health declines. This could he partly due to the inability to take in earth, sand, or gravel."
OH JEEEEZZ! What SUPERB info! This is exactly what I was looking for!

So from your reply I have extracted LOTS of items that are part of their diet:

1. Mainly hay amd dry plants.

2. Peanut stalks

3. Dry leaves

4. Detritus (all kinds)

5. Cactaceous plants

6. Twigs

7. Pebbles

8. Thorny plants

9. Ipomaea leaves

10. Acacias

11. Bark of trees

12. Debris found under thickets

13. Water melons

14. Mangoes (particularly)

15. Opuntia cactus

16. Eleltsine indica

17. Dactylocteniltm aegyptium,

18. Digitaria ciliaris

19. Eragrostis tenella

20. Portulaca oleracea

21. Cassia obtusifolia

22. Commelina benghalensis

23. Balanites aegyptiaca fruit (desert date)

24. Faidherbia albida fruit (apple-ring Acacia) (I don't think it has a fruit, it has a seed pod would and is it edible for the tort?)

25. Acacia adansonii fruit (couldn't find anything on this, does it have a fruit and is it tort edible)

26. Floating grass and algae (sometimes)

27. Earth, sand, or gravel

28. Carcasses (calcium and carbs)

What an excercise this has turned out to be! Scattered around your post, I was able to locate 28 different items. mentioned that they eat. This is such great general info, could it be a sticky🤔? AMAZING!

@Tom I would love to hear your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
OH JEEEEZZ! What SUPERB info! This is exactly what I was looking for!

So from your reply I have extracted LOTS of items that are part of their diet:

1. Mainly hay amd dry plants.

2. Peanut stalks

3. Dry leaves

4. Detritus (all kinds)

5. Cactaceous plants

6. Twigs

7. Pebbles

8. Thorny plants

9. Ipomaea leaves

10. Acacias

11. Bark of trees

12. Debris found under thickets

13. Water melons

14. Mangoes (particularly)

15. Opuntia cactus

16. Eleltsine indica

17. Dactylocteniltm aegyptium,

18. Digitaria ciliaris

19. Eragrostis tenella

20. Portulaca oleracea

21. Cassia obtusifolia

22. Commelina benghalensis

23. Balanites aegyptiaca fruit (desert date)

24. Faidherbia albida fruit (apple-ring Acacia) (I don't think it has a fruit, it has a seed pod would and is it edible for the tort?)

25. Acacia adansonii fruit (couldn't find anything on this, does it have a fruit and is it tort edible)

26. Floating grass and algae (sometimes)

27. Earth, sand, or gravel

28. Carcasses (calcium and carbs)

What an excercise this has turned out to be! Scattered around your post, I was able to locate 28 different items. mentioned that they eat. This is such great general info, could it be a sticky🤔? AMAZING!

@Tom I would love to hear your thoughts on this?
Although interesting and somewhat helpful, I like to keep in mind, this is a list of items by field observation, often in areas much altered by man as far as what is available. It is not a list of sulcatas' preferential food items in the wild, but a list of observed eating of what is available to the tortoise in that area at that time when the observer was there. Tortoises are opportunistic eaters. They eat what they can find, especially in areas where good food is scarce. They likely eat a lot of stuff they would pass over if better items were available. Many items on this list may well be fairly poor food choices. Many of these tortoises die in the wild - and lack of available good nutrition is very likely one of the contributors. In captivity we should be able to provide a much better diet.