What substrate would you recommend and why?

Redfoo

Location (City and/or State)
UK, England Essex
I've looked online but as you'd expect when you look on one website and then another they tell you two completely different things/information.

What substrate would you highly recommend for the "Red foot tortoise" and why?

Your opinions are great tips for me, they'll be taken into consideration for the care of my red foot tortoise.

-
Thanks

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I've looked online but as you'd expect when you look on one website and then another they tell you two completely different things/information.

What substrate would you highly recommend for the "Red foot tortoise" and why?

Your opinions are great tips for me, they'll be taken into consideration for the care of my red foot tortoise.

-
Thanks

I use 50% Sterilized dirt/soil and 50% Coco Core. It retains moisture well and isn't too dusty. It works for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like fine grade orchid bark. It's not toxic should they eat it, it doesn't mold or sour when kept wet.

Redfoo

UK, England Essex
I like fine grade orchid bark. It's not toxic should they eat it, it doesn't mold or sour when kept wet.
Hmm, I have a question about the "orchid bark" does it cause any problems if the tortoise has eaten any of it? Any constipation/wounds etc?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. I like the fine grade because it's small pieces. But it doesn't cause impaction if they eat it, and it's not toxic. No sharp edges to cause wounds.