3) check out www.tortoiseforum.org
4) As if they know about UVB light, pyramiding, MBD, habitats,
diets, etc and by time I'm done most are so surprised what care
really goes into them.

Other that what I already do, what other things would
you tell a wannabe tort/turtle owner.
9 out of 10 don't even know the difference between a
tort and a turtle.:tort:
And I always refer them to this forum for research and reading.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I get so mad when I get that look...like ya I will check out the forum NOT! Is it that much to ask?

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I would definitely tell them of how long a tortoise can live and ask if they are really ready to commit. Ask them if they think think they are ready to take care of a special needs human child. This child will out live them and require care and attention everyday. I hope they know the best part about owning a tortoise is WATCHING/OBSERVING them. No fetching or learning fancy tricks or singing or fuzziness.

I think most people are blind to the cute babies that wobble around making everyone go "awwwwww!!" And they don't see the final size of the adults, the time, money, blood, and sweat.... OK maybe no blood but sweat for they guys building the enclosures for sure :)

Overall the commitment is a biggie because not many other common pets out live their owners!

Angi said:
I get so mad when I get that look...like ya I will check out the forum NOT! Is it that much to ask?

People are naturally lazy and if they are DONT get a tortoise. If you can't be bother to read don't bother ruining an animals life! :)

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
I misspelled and the above should of read 'I ask if' not 'as if' sorry

MechanicMatt

5 Year Member
A former co-worker of mine commented that he wanted to get he and his wife a tort. I got as far as the $100 vet visit after they brought it home to make sure of no parasites. I got the strangest look from him, and he immediately changed his mind!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Q said:
I would definitely tell them of how long a tortoise can live and ask if they are really ready to commit. Ask them if they think think they are ready to take care of a special needs human child. This child will out live them and require care and attention everyday. I hope they know the best part about owning a tortoise is WATCHING/OBSERVING them. No fetching or learning fancy tricks or singing or fuzziness.

I think most people are blind to the cute babies that wobble around making everyone go "awwwwww!!" And they don't see the final size of the adults, the time, money, blood, and sweat.... OK maybe no blood but sweat for they guys building the enclosures for sure :)

Overall the commitment is a biggie because not many other common pets out live their owners!
My thoughts entirely... well said :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would deff make it sound like it is the hardest and most expensive thing they will ever do. If they really wanted one and had the knowledge, they probably would have already gotten one or have done the research. If after that answer, they continue to ask questions, well then they might really be interested. Then I would tell them about TFO and all the other stuff they need to really know. Most people saying that to you are probably just saying it, kinda just in passing, but have never thought twice about getting one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many people that I talk to are astounded that there is a forum for tortoise nerds or that anyone has much interest in keeping a pet tortoise. Other people think it is awesome and are awestruck by the size and demeanor of an adult sulcata following us around like a puppy.

I don't have a blanket statement for people. There is such a wide variety of people and interest levels. For people that I know and that are really interested, I invite them over and SHOW them. For people just making conversation, I just converse back. :)

I still love the question, "What do they DO?" If I'm not in the mood, I just say "Nothing.", and walk away. Then I get the, "...but, but, Hey! Wait..." I just smile and keep walking. :)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Tom said:
Many people that I talk to are astounded that there is a forum for tortoise nerds or that anyone has much interest in keeping a pet tortoise. Other people think it is awesome and are awestruck by the size and demeanor of an adult sulcata following us around like a puppy.

My friends all think my involvement with this forum is bizarre :). When I went to meet Gbtortoises, I told one of my friends about it ... I'll never forget the look on her face, or how she said , "you met him where??"

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
Laurie, next time someone asks you that you should say, I met them through 1-800- lonely hearts
or 1-800 need sex and then when you get the weird look let them know, naw just joking it was a tort forum.
Funny how ppl not into the same thing will think our interests are 'bizarre!!!
It wouldn't matter what a person is into, someone somewhere will always think something is bizarre.
I have a relative who likes to collect guns, has a CWP, works in a job that you can never have been arrested,
total law abiding citizen to a tee. Family man, etc, ppl think gun collecting is bizarre.
A friend home schools and some think she is bizarre. Ppl on average are just plain critical.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Blessed3x said:
Laurie, next time someone asks you that you should say, I met them through 1-800- lonely hearts
or 1-800 need sex and then when you get the weird look let them know, naw just joking it was a tort forum.

Lol, I get your point, but now I feel I need to clarify ;). My husband and I went and met Gary, his wife and all of his wonderful tortoises. It was a learning visit and it was awesome to see the variety of torts he has and how he keeps them :D

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I don't blatantly tell someone to research, because this blooms more ignorance. Most people who have no clue in the first place often end up getting their info from more bad sources later on down the road. Yes, this forum is beyond awesome, but then we find ourselves asking other people to fix the problems we created that could have been prevented by spending time doing homework. Gather some quality reading material from reputable sources stated from someone who has the experience to recommend it to you. Read, interpret, and then converse your gatherings with a forum, to dial in any outdated information. Compare notes, and adjust according to your personal situation. Tortoise care is much like putting together a puzzle, there are so many pieces to discover and figure out, it takes a while for it all together to get the big picture.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Tom said:

I don't have a blanket statement for people. There is such a wide variety of people and interest levels. For people that I know and that are really interested, I invite them over and SHOW them. For people just making conversation, I just converse back. :)

I still love the question, "What do they DO?" If I'm not in the mood, I just say "Nothing.", and walk away. Then I get the, "...but, but, Hey! Wait..." I just smile and keep walking. :)
Tortoise nerds! I like that one haha.

But yeah..A good first opener is asking if they realize just how long they live. Another is mentioning their outside needs, and size variants. You know, like..if you don't have much room for an outdoor area for them, avoid Sulcatas and Aldabras?

Research. Do research. Lots of it. And more.

I also really hate to get people away from getting a Tort..but I can't help but recommend a box turtle to beginners..

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
I don't 'blatantly' tell people to research, I answer their questions,
the ones I can, I let them know there is more to it
than many realize. I then ask them what they know and then tell
them about habitat, some dietary needs, UVB, pyramiding and
MBD and about that time they are usually in awe about how much more it
it to keeping one. Than I tell them I cannot implore them enough
to 1) Do their research and 2 do more research and then give them
the link to this site. I also tell them how wonderful having
torts are for me and the joy they bring me, helping me to slow
down and relax. I explain this web site is great cause unlike a yahoo
group where you have to cipher through everyone's topics the
site here has sections you can research and read and ask questions
in different areas like habitat, diet, breeding, etc.
I just think TF is a really REALLY great resource full of some great ppl

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I tell all wanna be tortoise caretakers to turn around and run, before they catch this addiction.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Let's face it, we are weird to want to take care of tortoises. It just makes us unique and that's a good thing.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Nixxy said:
I'd buy 'em. :)

It just might turn out to be the fashion look of 2013 through the middle of 2017, at least...particularily if we can get some famous star or starlet to wear one!

roflbot.jpg

roflbot.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well IF she is wearing one, I don't want one. *yuck*

Status
Not open for further replies.