What tortoise should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mass
So, I'm looking to get either a tortoise or a turtle(probably not a turtle). These are pretty much the only animals my mom is willing to get me (since I already have a doggy and a cat at my dad's :D). I was wondering what the best match would be for me! I will be getting her for Chanukkah hopefully and she has to be a smaller breed. I was more thinking a tortoise because I want something I can play with sort of and bring outside with me to eat dandelions :D Also, I don't want to have to clean out dirty water! (I don't mind cleaning "dry" cages or whatever) I've been doing a lot of research and I was wondering if a Russian Tortoise is right for me or if I should get something different like a Hermann?

Also, where should I get her from and I know this sounds dumb but if I bring her outside they're slow enough that I don't have to worry about loosing her right?

Anything else you want to tell me? I'm a first time tortoise owner! And I don't think I'm buying from Petco, probably from an oline breeder like tortoiseshack.com.

One more thing, can I let her live outside during the summer? Even at night or should I bring her in at night?

(I'm gonna name her either Olivia or Flower I think :D)

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hi welcome to the forum :)

Either a Russian or a Hermann would be a great addition to your family and if you like high domed shelled tortoises a greek is another possibility :D Also if you do plan on buying off the internet may I suggest Tortoise Supply the owner actually is on this forum and is very reliable IMHO! Getting a tortoise is exciting and I can't wait to see picks of your new baby :p

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Please help?! I want to be as educated as possible before I get her! :)

Marty333 said:
Hi welcome to the forum :)

Either a Russian or a Hermann would be a great addition to your family and if you like high domed shelled tortoises a greek is another possibility :D Also if you do plan on buying off the internet may I suggest Tortoise Supply the owner actually is on this forum and is very reliable IMHO! Getting a tortoise is exciting and I can't wait to see picks of your new baby :p

Thanks for the reply :)

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Living out would be fine in the summer where do you live? Also Russians I heard are notorious for digging so be prepared if you are going to make an enclosure outside that the sides go deep in the ground. also yes you can loose a tortoise If you have one outside unprotected and its a baby it can get swooped away by a predator also it can burrow and if it burrow collapses it would be nearly impossible to find him/her. Also you could leave him outside at night if he has a nice heated house to go to.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Marty333 said:
Living out would be fine in the summer where do you live? Also Russians I heard are notorious for digging so be prepared if you are going to make an enclosure outside that the sides go deep in the ground. also yes you can loose a tortoise If you have one outside unprotected and its a baby it can get swooped away by a predator also it can burrow and if it burrow collapses it would be nearly impossible to find him/her. Also you could leave him outside at night if he has a nice heated house to go to.

I live in mass, and do you know which breed is less shy?

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Since you live in Mass (Go Sox!) I am not sure that your tortoise would be able to live an adequete life outside. I've experience a few New England winter in my life, and don't even think they're suitable for PEOPLE, lol.(Go Florida!)

As far as a smaller tortoise that will be a good pet, I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY recomend a red foot tortoise (If it's feesable, a cherryhead).

Redfoots are very strong, and hardy, I think you'll find that they get big, but not too big. Look into Redfoots, they're amazing pets and if properly cared for they have great personalities.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Russians are great. They're said to be very outgoing, like Sulcatas in a small package, but in the end it depends on the tortoise--they're all unique. For enclosure, I highly recommend as big as you can go... For a small tortoise like a Russian, I like the rule of at least 2 square feet per 1" of shell length. For a Russian, 6x2 feet (12 sq ft) is a good basis for the smallest comfortable enclosure, but, again, larger is better. They're a lot more active than you might think!

For outdoor time... Do NOT underestimate the speed of a tortoise!! Before I was able to build my first outdoor enclosure, I had to watch my 6.5" Russian like a hawk. I could set her at the edge of my front porch, turn around for a few seconds, and turn back to find that she'd already crossed the 30-40 feet between the porch and road! They're faster than you would think. So, either plan on never taking your eyes off it while outside, or start planning for a secure outdoor enclosure.

On the lighting concern, natural, unfiltered, direct sunlight is THE best UVB source. Nothing beats the sun! If you can get him outside 4 hours every day, consistently, that is FANTASTIC. If you can keep up that exposure to the natural sun, I believe it's safe to say he won't need supplemental UVB for the summer months. The winter is another story entirely, though. If I'm not mistaken, Massachusetts winters are on the harsh side. Without honest sunlight and safe temps (above 60F), you can't rely solely on natural sun. For the winters, it's better to have a good UVB bulb, like MegaRay and T-Rex Active UVHeat mercury vapor bulbs.

Of course, I'm not sure if I just read your question wrong or what, but keep in mind you still need to supply heat and light inside, no matter how long you have him outside during the day. They are diurnal, and even if you get your tort out 4 hours a day, it still needs a nice, warm heat lamp and basking spot, plus lighting for the rest of the enclosure (fluorescents or lower wattage heat lamps) to last it through the other 8-10 hours per day it'll be awake.

I almost missed your question about having her live outside for summer... This is a good idea if you can build a secure enclosure that she can't climb or dig out of, and that predators can't get into. Since you'll have an indoor enclosure for the winter months, anyway, there's no reason you can't just bring her in every night, but if you want to and the temps are warm enough overnight, you can build a secure "den box" that you are able to shut and lock at night. Even if you do this, the best thing for the safety of your tort (especially considering night is when raccoons, etc usually come out) is to go out every night to make sure s/he is nice and snug in the den box and lock her inside until morning.

If you decide to buy from an online breeder, I highly recommend going with someone here on Tortoise Forum. It's more reliable than just picking a website off Google. Another good resource when it comes to buying is the Board of Inquiry at http://faunaclassifieds.com. People will post their experiences, good and bad, there about different breeders/dealers so others can know ahead of time whether to expect that person to be reliable, or to rip them off.

Hope this helps some! :)

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Redfoots require a lot of humidity so I really don't know if that would be the best for a northern state IMHO. Also you can't really pick on a tortoise that are more personable because they all are different. Russian, greek, and hermann owners will all say that theres are very personable so in the end go for which one is more appealing to you.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
Marty333 said:
Redfoots require a lot of humidity so I really don't know if that would be the best for a northern state IMHO. Also you can't really pick on a tortoise that are more personable because they all are different. Russian, greek, and hermann owners will all say that theres are very personable so in the end go for which one is more appealing to you.

Russians also require a humidity of AT LEAST 60%, not too much different from a red foots 80%+.

If humidity is going to be an issue (e.g. having a humidifier) then I think a Hermann's may be the way to go because they require much less humidity (30-50% if I remember correctly)

Steve

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think I have read on the forum that Redfoots are shy. If that is correct ( I could be wrong) that might not be the tortiose for you.

I love desert tortoises, but I live in a warm, dry area. I guess I am a lot like a desert tort. I also enjoy basking in the sun:), but I don't want to look like a DT:(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'd suggest, in this order, a Hermann's, a Greek or a Russian...Hermann's and Greeks don't dig much, if at all, while Russians are little digging machines!

Personality-wise, it's hard to beat a Hermann's, as they just seem naturally friendly/outgoing, more so than a Greek (frequently very shy) or a Russian (frequently aggressive/territorial, particularily males).

For an outside enclosure, I use 2 X 4s (frame) and 2 X 12s (sides), and build one approx. 8' (L) X 5' (W) X 3' (D) - thus, approx. 40 square feet, which gives your tort plently of room and gives you plenty of space to decorate) using large wood screws (nails pull out, eventually, and w/ screws, you can easily disassemble/reassemble the enclosure when you move to your own place, as an adult - be sure and get to know someone with a truck! ;))...if you're going to keep a Russian, buy some decking water-proofing agent (Thompson Water-Seal is an excellent brand) and put a couple of coats to the wood, nail 1/4" hardware cloth (heavy screen. basically) across the bottom, and put in soil about 1' deep...a Russian can dig all he/she wants, yet never escape! If you choose either of the other 2 species, the 1' deep dirt is not as important, unless you plan to breed 'em...4-5" is plenty.

Once the enclosure is built, decorate it with live plants, a hide-box (I create "caves" out of flat rocks and mortar, to give it a bit more of a naturalistic look, but a wooden box, big enough for the tortoise, when fully grown (12" X 12" X 12", or so), is fine, too. Add a shallow water dish, big enough for the tortoise to climb into when it wants to, but shallow enough for it to be able to climb out easily...a 12" terra-cotta dish for going under a larger planter is perfect (and easy to find at any nursery or Walmart/Target dept. store)...the rest is just adding rocks and a log or two, so it'll have stuff to climb over/around/under. Getting a piece of 12" PVC, about 2' long and covering it w/ dirt, except for each end, will give your tortoise a fun thing to climb over/tunnel through.

A good idea is to build a cover out of wood and 1/4" hardware cloth, to keep predators/thieves out...mine hinges in the center, so it's not so heavy to oen it.

Just a few ideas I hope you'll find useful. Lots of other great ideas in the "Enclosure" part of the forum, so take the time to look through it...a good enclosure not only makes your tort happy/healthy, but can also be an attractive feature of your back yard! :cool:

a4dc9165-f0b9-4dba-bd3d-8f579d43a152

Here you can see one end of Jennifer's outside enclosure...I used 2 X 4s for the sides on this one, but 2 X 12s are my preference for sides these days...in the back, behind the plants, you can see her "cave", and in the front is her "pool".

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Thanks guys for all the info! I'm not completely sure but I think I'm getting a Russian. I've done lots of research on them and I think they're right. Just for clarification, she will live inside except once she's a little older and I'm a little more knowledgeable so I can make her the perfect outdoor enclosure for the summer. So, for lamps and humidity stuff what should I get? I know she needs like one side of the enclosure for basking or whatever and one side for sleeping and hiding right? Does anyone have a really good setup for Russians, like where I should put the heat lamp, a hiding spot, etc.? And how can I control humidity? And lastly, if they dig a hole and go in it what substrate can I count on not to collapse on them? I read on russiantortoise.org that play sand mixed with coconut coir is best, any others that are good that I don't have to buy online?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
HI Abra, I live in Mass also and good for you for doing this first. Have you checked out Western Mass Craigs List. I believe there have been a few Russians on there.
Good Luck and you'll be happy you came here!
Welcome
Nay

Hi I just found one, there are a couple. Where in Mass are you?
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/pet/2069378519.html

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Oh! I didn't even think of that! I just found a little girl and I'm going to email the seller now! Thanks so much!

And yeah, I'm going with her :) I just emailed the lady! Thank you for the help!

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I have to wait for the reply but hopefully tomorrow, I'm having a sleepover for my birthday and maybe we can all go and get my new baby! I hope the lady replies soon! And I'll keep everyone posted, I just have a few more questions I need answered before I get her :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yes, I saw your questions! I am very proud of you for doing your research first, good job! Never ever feel bad about asking questions, everyone here likes to help! I have learned so much by reading and reading! Keep asking and learning and you will be an awesome tortie parent! Funny story to tell you.... I just rescued a CDT, my son and I went to the feed store to get her some eye cream and the first thing my 11 year old son said to the lady was "We did NOT do this to HER", so he has learned so much too! I was so proud of him. Knowledge is your best tool! So, keep up the good work, and don't ever be afraid to ask questions! Let us know how it goes, good luck! :D Mary Anne

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Hmmm... I am not sure taking friends with you to pick up your tortoise is a good idea. She might be a little nervous and need time with just you or alone to get settled. Also the person that owns her may be not want to give her up if she sees a big group coming to pick her up. I wouldn't if I was the seller.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Okay thanks, then I'll just go with my dad and little sister if/when I get her :)

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Just something I didn't see brought up yet that would be a concern of mine.

If I'm not mistaken I believe that Russian's hibernate during the cold months, anyone who knows better correct me if I'm wrong. It is recommended that you don't let them hibernate in the first year that you have them, that way they can become acclimated to being around you as well as the fact that you are able to monitor their health for that first year of ownership.

I don't know the whole process of leading a tort into hibernation, but it was enough to scare me away from those that did as being a first tort for me.

Like I said, I don't own a Russian, so if there is anyone that can lay more light to this subject please chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.