What type of light

Vinrag

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Can i get away with a compact florescent uva uvb or do i need something for basking also

tortoisekev

UK
I have a 100W MegaRay bulb that is for heat and uvb with a large reflection shade over the top (have a look on the megaray website and they have it as a package). It’s what was recommended to me by my local breeder and so far I’d recommend it.

tortoisekev

UK
Though it will depend on the tortoise etc mines a 3 year old Hermanns

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Can i get away with a compact florescent uva uvb or do i need something for basking also

No. Compact florescent bulbs are not safe for tortoises. You need a regular incandescent flood bulb for basking and a separate T5 HO UV(B) reptile rated linear florescent bulb for your tortoise. An additional ambient lighting LED/T5 linear florescent fixture and cheap bulb is optional if you wish to extend the life of the more expensive UV(B) linear florescent bulbs.

I personally do not recommend mercury vapor bulbs because there are not many different wattage levels to choose from. The heat and brightness of the bulb is very intense and may deter young tortoises from basking under them. They also can get too hot for closed chamber setups under 2 ft in height.

Kobe's_Staff

Southport
Kobe has a basking lamp that has uv a and b built in and he's doing fine and perfectly healthy.