what type of tortoise would you recommend

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
My friend came over and loves my sulcata and now wants to get a tortoise. He doesn't want anything that gets really big. He wants something that will be active and have a good personality. What would everyone recommend?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It depends on what climate you guys live in. Russians are very Harty, stay small and make great beginner level torts. Redfoots get a little bigger (about 14") have great personalities but require more attention to detail as they are tropical and need higher humidity.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Oklahoma with very hot and humid summers and then winter we will have some freezing temps.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Interesting tortoises are also I. forstenii. They don't get really big and have a awesome personality.
Otherwise T. kleinmanni are beautiful tortoises. But I think they are a little bit to expensive in your country.
Could you keep your tortoise in the winter into an indoor enclosure? Or do you want to keep them all time outdoor in a greenhouse or something like that?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
My guess is he would be kept indoors during the winter, Its one of my friends looking for one. I have enough if that's possible.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Ok yes do you have any criteria for the tortoise kind? Habitat, food, size,tropical/dry etc. normally you could keep every tortoise kind outdoor in the summer and if he can keep the tortoise in the could mouths indoor it would be helpful.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The great debate rages on. Russians are often described as little sulcatas, personality wise. So that would be my suggestion.