What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I am in Ramona. It is in the north east area of san Diego county.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Definitely Southern Pacific!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Angi said:
Snake season is upon us where I live and I am curious what the members of this forum would do or do when you find a Rattle Snake in your yard. We got our first one of the season today. I was not home. My son was home and he is not aloud to go outside when he is alone. He called the next door nieghbor, he was afraid it would bite one of the dogs. I am kind of bummed that I was not home. It was a big one.

Most people in my area kill them if they are in their yards. What would YOU do?

Snakes in general tend to spread out from their hibernating area over the summer and then return to it. If this is the only snake you've seen in years, it was just passing through. If you have seen several, you may be near a hibernacula.

I would not hesitate for a minute to kill a snake I know to be a rattler if it endangered my family.

If they were not at risk, I would do a catch and release (but I know how to do this and have the right tools) OR try to observe it and see if it has a nest locally or is just passing through.

I would also look at making my yard snake resistant- eliminate food, water, and shelter opportunities for snakes.

emysemys said:
Isn't there some sort of rescue service in your area that deals with the venomous snakes?

I really wish there were more rescue groups in the Omaha area. I often feel somewhat jealous of your situation!

latshki said:
RandomWiktor said:
I've always been one to either relocate wildlife and when possible, create deterrents to keep them from coming back. But I'm not a mother and haven't had to deal much with animals that could potentially kill my companion animals (The only time I've ever had a snake hassle my animals, it was non venemous... and my rooster killed it before I could relocate it). I suspect my gut instinct would still be relocate over kill; frankly I'd be more worried about the snake tagging me while I attempted to kill it then while I attempted to reloate it, haha. Plus I just can't imagine myself wailing on any animal with a shovel simply for existing.

Humorously enough, when my fiance and I were investigating the property we're considering buying, there was a copperhead in the garage. The owner looked a little embarassed, said it was uncommon, and asked if we wanted it killed. My fiance and I gave a loud "no!" in unison, proceed to photograph it, catch it, put it in a bin, and relocate it.

and what was the reaction of the realtor
I think i would have done the same, copperheads are likely my favorite hots

Mine too. In fact, an adult Copperhead does not have enough venom to count it as fatal to an adult human. Gorgeous snakes!

Angi said:
I have heard that the smell of a King Snake will keep rattlers away. Does anyone know if that is true.

While Kings eat Rattles, I know of no real evidence that the smell is a deterrent.

Tom said:
APBT_Fanatic said:
We don't have Rattle Snakes here, though I have found dead snakes on the riverbed.
Does anybody know what type it is?

That's a gopher snake. Pituophis catenifer. If you live in an area where those are present, you DO have rattlesnakes in your area. You just haven't seen them yet. If I remember, you are up here in the desert not too far from me. I'll bet money they are around your area.

LOL! Usually true. I live in Omaha. We have Bullsnakes (sayi subspecies) but no hot species, not even back as far as we can find records. Prairie out to the north and west; Copperhead, Timber, and Massasauga to the south.

DeanS said:
pebblelu said:
I was told there very poisonous. That if you got bit by one you had 20 min. to get treatment.

If you want to keep the body part that got bitten, 20 minutes is about right...but you can go awhile before you would die...say an hour or two...huh, unless it's an Eastern Diamondback...they are bad news!

Assuming they actually injected enough venom, and hit a major blood vessel, and you are at a higher than usual risk.

Most people who are bitten and even actually envenomated survive- and a large part of that is that the venom does not usually affect an animal as large as a human that quickly so they have time to seek medical attention.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Hi Mark,

Yes I have seen several. Usually 1 to 4 a year. We have killed all of them. I never though of relocating until I joined this forum. I don't know if I live by a hibernation area. I was told on a school field trip (with my sons class) that snakes here come out all year long, do to the warm weather any time of year. We have had a rattler in Feb. and Oct. At the time it suprised me because I thought they slept all fall and winter. They are much more active this time of year. I know that we have more than one type because the coloring is very different. My yard backs up to part of Cleveland National forrest actually my cul-de-sac is serounded by it. It doesn't look like a forrest. It is small mountains with hiking trails and a lot of shrub, bushes, yukas and other plants, but I think it is beautiful. So I guess I have to expect a few snakes. I do get other types too, but I just leave them alone or move them away from my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.