What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
Snake season is upon us where I live and I am curious what the members of this forum would do or do when you find a Rattle Snake in your yard. We got our first one of the season today. I was not home. My son was home and he is not aloud to go outside when he is alone. He called the next door nieghbor, he was afraid it would bite one of the dogs. I am kind of bummed that I was not home. It was a big one.

Most people in my area kill them if they are in their yards. What would YOU do?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
If possible - catch and release - but if you don't have the equipment for that kind of thing, I guess I would kill it rather than see my dogs and children get hurt.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Exactly what Kimber says. I love snakes, and believe that wild animals should be left alone. However, I would not hesitate to protect my own...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
A girl working at LLL told me they will just pass through my yard and leave, but I don't believe her. Does anyone know if they are roamers or if they like to find a home and stay?
If I find a baby do I have a litter?
Once I found two in my yard in about 15 minutes. One was about 4 feet long the other only about a foot and a half. Do they travel together?
I have google rattlers and get conflicting info.

pugsandkids said:
Exactly what Kimber says. I love snakes, and believe that wild animals should be left alone. However, I would not hesitate to protect my own...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Isn't there some sort of rescue service in your area that deals with the venomous snakes?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
most rattle snake bites I believe occur when people bother the snake, if you leave it alone it will most likely not harm you, easy to say when one is not around I know.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Get him with the water hoseee!

No, just playin,Hah. :]
If you don't mind spending money, I would call a service place like Yvonne recommended.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks for the replies. There is no rattle snake rescue here. Once when a rattler was under the dog house I called the fire department, they had a snake stick and a shovel and killed it. I now have my own snake tong.

Unfortunatley it is easy to accidently bother a snake. They don't always rattle and they can be hard to see. One of my nieghbors kids thought one was a baseball and almost picked it up. Another friend of a friend thought a baby was a hair scrunchie and got bit when he picked it up. My husband was taking the trash cans down to the street once and was just inches away from a huge rattler before he saw it. It didn't rattle and it had about 10 or 11 buttons. Then there are the dogs that want to sniff them or corner them. I have to admit it is a rush to find one.

Hmmm....I already have a snake tong I could probably get some type of container to put them in and release them.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would bring the kids and animals inside and try to keep an eye on where it goes. If it is lingering for more than that day I would call someone (but by the time you do this and someone comes out, then likely it is gone, but at least you can report it), and of course if it is threatening I would kill it (shovel?). I would really not want to bother it though, nor kill it just because it was in my yard. Best to leave it alone. Your son did great! Definitely something to talk to kids about--what to do in certain scenarios such as wild & stray animals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I deal with them regularly. If you find this years baby (one button) there are likely more around. What to do just depends so much on the situation. Me and several people I work with get hired to go to remote movie sets and check for rattlers. We've all noticed that they seldom rattle any more. It used to be that if they rattled, the great plains bison, and later cattle, would avoid stepping on them and everyone was happy. For the last few decades, whenever one rattles its like a neon sign that says, "Hey! Come over here and cut my head of with a shovel!" So the noisy ones get dead and the quiet ones breed and survive. Natural selection at work.

Personally, I catch them up and take them out to remote parts of the Angeles National Forest. I've the equipment (tongs, snake box, snake hook) to do this sort of thing, plus a whole lot of training and experience. I couldn't responsibly tell someone else to catch them in their yard. If someone were to do this on their own, a big empty trash can with a duct taped lid and a clear, large label is a pretty good way to go. If they find a place they like they will camp out for a while, especially the females. This time of year the males are really on the move, looking for love.

Good luck and be careful out there.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
In almost every case,if is venomous,I relocate them. But,on occasion,I'll have one over for dinner,with a side of fried plantains.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Good advice Tom. I like the trash can and duct tape. I am not sure I would have the nerve to release it. That is interesting that you bring up that they seldom rattle anymore. The only time I have seen one rattle is when it is trapped by the dogs. My dogs are vaccinated for rattle snakes, but a bite can still be pretty bad. A few years ago I got one that was so tiny he didn't even have a button so I am guessing my yard was full of his brothers.

I do know people that say they are pretty good BBQed Jackrat. But I will stick to skinless chicken breast myself. I don't like asking for help with snakes that is why I bought the tong.
BTW~ I went to my nieghbors when I got home to see it. It is dead but I had never gotten up the nerve to touch one with my hand and I was suprised at how the scales felt. They were kind of spikey and overlapped one another.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jackrat said:
In almost every case,if is venomous,I relocate them. But,on occasion,I'll have one over for dinner,with a side of fried plantains.

Jack ... I was thinking the same thing ..... They didnt mention if I found it when I had the munchies!
" Taste Like Chicken"
:p

JD~

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I had it once and the taste reminded me of something between fish and chicken. Very interesting, but I'd eat it again. :)

RandomWiktor

5 Year Member
Alabama
I've always been one to either relocate wildlife and when possible, create deterrents to keep them from coming back. But I'm not a mother and haven't had to deal much with animals that could potentially kill my companion animals (The only time I've ever had a snake hassle my animals, it was non venemous... and my rooster killed it before I could relocate it). I suspect my gut instinct would still be relocate over kill; frankly I'd be more worried about the snake tagging me while I attempted to kill it then while I attempted to reloate it, haha. Plus I just can't imagine myself wailing on any animal with a shovel simply for existing.

Humorously enough, when my fiance and I were investigating the property we're considering buying, there was a copperhead in the garage. The owner looked a little embarassed, said it was uncommon, and asked if we wanted it killed. My fiance and I gave a loud "no!" in unison, proceed to photograph it, catch it, put it in a bin, and relocate it.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I wouldn't have the heart to kill anything, but I don't have human children. I wouldn't hold it against you if you felt like you needed to kill it but it still kinda makes me sad.

latshki

5 Year Member
RandomWiktor said:
I've always been one to either relocate wildlife and when possible, create deterrents to keep them from coming back. But I'm not a mother and haven't had to deal much with animals that could potentially kill my companion animals (The only time I've ever had a snake hassle my animals, it was non venemous... and my rooster killed it before I could relocate it). I suspect my gut instinct would still be relocate over kill; frankly I'd be more worried about the snake tagging me while I attempted to kill it then while I attempted to reloate it, haha. Plus I just can't imagine myself wailing on any animal with a shovel simply for existing.

Humorously enough, when my fiance and I were investigating the property we're considering buying, there was a copperhead in the garage. The owner looked a little embarassed, said it was uncommon, and asked if we wanted it killed. My fiance and I gave a loud "no!" in unison, proceed to photograph it, catch it, put it in a bin, and relocate it.

and what was the reaction of the realtor
I think i would have done the same, copperheads are likely my favorite hots

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have heard that the smell of a King Snake will keep rattlers away. Does anyone know if that is true. I am curios Katie could you kill a gopher or a rat. I have killed a few most my dog had mauled. It was an icky feeling, but I don't believe in letting animals suffer.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I have pet rats! I've never seen a gopher, I guess we don't have them down here? I don't know that I could kill an animal even if it was suffering...I guess I might be able to do it. I'd probably get my fiance to do it so that I wouldn't have to but if I was alone I think I may be able to muster up the courage since it would be more humane than having it suffer.
If there were wild rats around my house I'd use a humane trap and have them relocated, I'd do that before killing any animal but if my children were involved and catching and releasing wasn't an option....I'd make my fiance do it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.