What're the chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
The other night I noticed my yellow female digging what turned out to be a "practice" hole. The next night, she was digging again in a new spot, in the morning, when I checked,the hole was abandoned, and the remnants of eggs were laying around. She had chosen as her spot, the undiscovered nest of another. There was one undamaged, and fertile egg, which I have put in the incubator. The third night, she dug again, and left me three eggs. So, actually, I guess the single egg was a bonus rather than a loss.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Wow! I was wondering if they could still lay this late.. I got my female at the end of June, and I haven't seen her lay eggs. So I was wondering if she laid the eggs before I got her, or if she may still lay eggs...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I had a female lay 7 eggs last year right at the end of september. So I don't stop looking .
txturtle13 said:
Wow! I was wondering if they could still lay this late.. I got my female at the end of June, and I haven't seen her lay eggs. So I was wondering if she laid the eggs before I got her, or if she may still lay eggs...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've had that happen with my leopard tortoise female. She always seems to find an already occupied spot to dig her nest holes.

Too bad about the broken eggs, but I'll bet that saved egg is going to hatch out a beautifully colored baby!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Oh man! I had no idea... Ill keep an eye out. I thought for sure she laid before I got her. This is good to know. :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Wow that's cool to know. I've seen nesting in early August but I just stop looking once I go through 2 weeks of no nesting. Now you got me second guessing that decision !!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I found two babies this afternoon. :) I guess she did nest! I looked for others, but I think there were only two. It's definitely still time of year for this! at least down here in TX.

Status
Not open for further replies.