whats a good first job

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
My first job at 12 was taking people out on riding trails. Riding horses was what I loved and would have done it for free 8 hours a day but I did get paid. My sister did the same thing and we worked out a weekly schedule, each working different days. Some times we would go on non working days just to ride horses for free all day long. That was the only job I ever really loved. All the other jobs have been for financial gain and just plain not as much fun...adulthood does that. Oh, and I am fantastically rich. Not really. So it was all just a waste of time of not having fun. Do what you love and you will never have to work at all.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
I say get any job u want but I suggest working a retail type job to get experience working with people and possibly counting money. Also by having retail experience u can fall back on that if u r career doesn't pan out or if u get laid off.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd suggest an entry level position in a government, county or state job.
For example, I got a job washing and drying gym towels in 1981 with the local school district. The pay was crap, but it was a permanent position with benefits. From there I became a custodian. Then an on site repairman. Eventually I arrived at vehicle maintenance and I'm in my 35th year at just 51 years old. (And retiring)

gamera154

grand terrace ca
I really want my own tort breeding business but thinning about it I'm going to need a job to fall back on I was thinking a job that involves animals like at a pet store (the one I got gamera at is only down the street from my school) or like can YouTube be a job oh what I need a bank account in not sure heck the dollar tree you need to be 18 now so yah

Rue

Canada
At 13 your options will be limited. However, finding short-term jobs should be doable. And you can start to put together a resume which will look really good once you are older and applying for more 'serious jobs'.

Another way to get 'job experience'...is to volunteer. Yes, you don't get paid, but you pick up experience and skills.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I really want my own tort breeding business but thinning about it I'm going to need a job to fall back on I was thinking a job that involves animals like at a pet store (the one I got gamera at is only down the street from my school) or like can YouTube be a job oh what I need a bank account in not sure heck the dollar tree you need to be 18 now so yah
YouTube is a job but it's VERY hard to get enough subscribers to get payed for it.
I am also wanting to work with animals and I think that a pet shop is a great first job.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
At 13 your options will be limited. However, finding short-term jobs should be doable. And you can start to put together a resume which will look really good once you are older and applying for more 'serious jobs'.

Another way to get 'job experience'...is to volunteer. Yes, you don't get paid, but you pick up experience and skills.
No I was thinking about the future

Rue

Canada
Oh! I thought you were looking for jobs now!

For the future...that's actually harder. Think about the things you like most. Think about what kind of life-style you'd like to have. I suggest you aim to make enough money to support a family. You never know where life is going to take you, and if you end up being the main or sole wage earner, it's nice to know you can make enough to provide for a decent home and food to eat.

Then you try to find a way for the two to meet...and then you go and look to see what education and qualifications are required for that specific job.

The hard part is determining what you'd like to do - if not for the rest of your life (many people switch jobs or fields) - at least for the foreseeable future.

For example...if you want to work with animals and want to have a good income...you might want to consider being a vet. BUT vet school is often harder to get into than med school and will require at least 8 years of university - and may cost a lot of money (doesn't have to, but often it works out that it does).

If making money really isn't an issue, then you might be happy as a vet tech. Two years of schooling (in most places). Still expensive, but not close to what it would cost to become a vet.

Just things to think about! You still have lots of time to think, but it's good to start looking at all your options.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
No I was thinking about the future

Why wouldn't you start now? If you wanted to do Youtube, or something else online, you wouldn't have to worry about revenue initially like those that do it full time as a job.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

most people who breed torts aren't doing it for a living they may sell they're torts but normally make just enough to cover they're cost's it's a hobby thing mostly. unless you get into breeding rare sought after torts such as radiant star torts and such but even then you gotta spend money to make money

and youtube itself doesn't pay. its when you become a well known channel and allow company's to run ad's during your videos or you mention the company during the video or wear they're product such as a tshirt with they're name on it. that's how you get paid. ( i have a youtube gaming channel)

hate to say it but your first tax paying job will probably be fast food/retail/washing dishes no body starts at the top you need a good history for a lot of reputable jobs to take you

at your age getting a job sounds easier then it is i remember thinking the same thing. but to tell the truth it's hard to convince someone to give you a shot if you have a family friend who own's a business try doing some work for them and ask if you could put them down as a reference when the time comes.

also just enjoy your age and having free time there are a lot of us that would go back in a heart beat if we could. your only young once.

gamera154

grand terrace ca
Oh! I thought you were looking for jobs now!

For the future...that's actually harder. Think about the things you like most. Think about what kind of life-style you'd like to have. I suggest you aim to make enough money to support a family. You never know where life is going to take you, and if you end up being the main or sole wage earner, it's nice to know you can make enough to provide for a decent home and food to eat.

Then you try to find a way for the two to meet...and then you go and look to see what education and qualifications are required for that specific job.

The hard part is determining what you'd like to do - if not for the rest of your life (many people switch jobs or fields) - at least for the foreseeable future.

For example...if you want to work with animals and want to have a good income...you might want to consider being a vet. BUT vet school is often harder to get into than med school and will require at least 8 years of university - and may cost a lot of money (doesn't have to, but often it works out that it does).

If making money really isn't an issue, then you might be happy as a vet tech. Two years of schooling (in most places). Still expensive, but not close to what it would cost to become a vet.

Just things to think about! You still have lots of time to think, but it's good to start looking at all your options.
Being a vet is not really what I like my job doesn't have to be with animals but its just that I Kanda want it to
Why wouldn't you start now? If you wanted to do Youtube, or something else online, you wouldn't have to worry about revenue initially like those that do it full time as a job.
I do have a channel but i need a bank account to get even the smallest amount out
most people who breed torts aren't doing it for a living they may sell they're torts but normally make just enough to cover they're cost's it's a hobby thing mostly. unless you get into breeding rare sought after torts such as radiant star torts and such but even then you gotta spend money to make money

and youtube itself doesn't pay. its when you become a well known channel and allow company's to run ad's during your videos or you mention the company during the video or wear they're product such as a tshirt with they're name on it. that's how you get paid. ( i have a youtube gaming channel)

hate to say it but your first tax paying job will probably be fast food/retail/washing dishes no body starts at the top you need a good history for a lot of reputable jobs to take you

at your age getting a job sounds easier then it is i remember thinking the same thing. but to tell the truth it's hard to convince someone to give you a shot if you have a family friend who own's a business try doing some work for them and ask if you could put them down as a reference when the time comes.

also just enjoy your age and having free time there are a lot of us that would go back in a heart beat if we could. your only young once.
Tort breeding for me just wont be baby torts to people who order I will also try to supply local pet stores with more captive breed sub adults and I might try a shot at making my own business torts aren't my only passion I like sewing drawing making costumes and cooking inventing things out of junk Godzilla and music

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I do have a channel but i need a bank account to get even the smallest amount out

So get a bank account. You may need a parent to sign up on the account too. Sometimes if they have an account at the same bank/credit union, they won't actually have to be on the account. Or try an online bank.

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
YouTube is a job but it's VERY hard to get enough subscribers to get payed for it.
I am also wanting to work with animals and I think that a pet shop is a great first job.
The subscriber count doesn't really matter, as long as you have people clicking on ads in your video. You will get paid a few cents per as clicked. My mom let me register under her bank account, bu I regretted using Adsense for my blog too. Can't commit to post so many things...

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
My first job was at the local public library, as a student library page. The job mostly consisted of re-shelving books, "reading" the shelves (making sure they were in order), and assisting the librarian with any event setup or other such duties. It paid minimum wage. It was a great job because I worked with a great library staff. You're not required to assist library patrons but instead direct them to the reference librarian, who is more equipped to help them. Of course, I enjoyed assisting them, which is probably why I'm in library science school now myself! :p But at times it can be a quiet and soothing job, and you can feel good about what you do: Libraries are a valuable asset to society. :)

I can agree with this too. I've made so many contacts over the years just from doing volunteer work. It shows people that you're dependable and hard-working. I volunteered at my library's book sales for about 7 years, and many of the volunteers (mostly older individuals) really began to miss me if I wasn't able to squeeze the time into my schedule. These contacts are great places to start if you need a recommendation letter someday! ;) Employers love seeing that you're willing to go the extra mile and commit your time to volunteer work.

Last edited: