What was your FIRST paying job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
DeanS said:
We've been seeing way too many repetitive topics. Why not do a simple search before arbitrarily posting a new thread based on an old thread!?!?;)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...-how-old-were-you?highlight=job#axzz1T9Us53me

LOL! Sorry it bothers you so much Dean. It looks like it doesn't bother too many people here to see the same thread and even give their answers again. I didn't think to look in the search engine for this topic, since I generally only use it for tortoise topics.

All in good fun Dean. If the mods feel it necessary, they can combine it with the other

;)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I babysat for a cocktail waitress when I was 14-15. She worked until 3 AM even on school nights and that was OK with my mom for whatever reason. I earned enough to pay my way on a Jr. high trip to Mexico City. My first legal job, at 16, was waitress at the Swedish Crown restaurant in Lindsborg, KS. I worked there for a while. When I turned 18 I started working at a 3.2 beer bar and that might have been my most fun job ever. I also worked as a model for figure drawing classes, draped or nude whichever was called for. Wouldn't do that one now!!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Edna said:
I babysat for a cocktail waitress when I was 14-15. She worked until 3 AM even on school nights and that was OK with my mom for whatever reason.

Wow! I'd totally would have failed school had I been out that late! lol I barely made it through high school with 8 hours of sleep

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I started a newspaper round when I was about 10, then I went worked at a hosiery factory at 15, been working ever since, never been out of work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Local pet shop when I was 14. I lied and said I was 16. I think they knew, but since I did all the "dirty" jobs that they didn't want to do, they just let it slide.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
Local pet shop when I was 14. I lied and said I was 16. I think they knew, but since I did all the "dirty" jobs that they didn't want to do, they just let it slide.

I had an opportunity to lie about my age when I was 14 too. It was to work at a Car wash here in So Cal. Then my mom made me tell them the truth because she said I was going to get caught and go to Jail. LOL

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
i weed eated and mowed and did odd jobs for anybody that needs help :)

I was 13 when i started (but have worked my whole life though)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
worked a summer or two for my uncle in his print shop. Hard work on hard floors. Smell of printing inks, the sounds of the presses and the HUGE paper cutter. I collected paper sheets, one by one - collated paper, around and around the table... The first night when I got into the car and closed my eyes, all I could 'see' were my hands reaching out for sheets of paper with numbers on them (it was for a calendar). I freaked. Mom and dad laughed.. funny what gets ingrained into the brain.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
sharkstar said:
worked a summer or two for my uncle in his print shop. Hard work on hard floors. Smell of printing inks, the sounds of the presses and the HUGE paper cutter. I collected paper sheets, one by one - collated paper, around and around the table... The first night when I got into the car and closed my eyes, all I could 'see' were my hands reaching out for sheets of paper with numbers on them (it was for a calendar). I freaked. Mom and dad laughed.. funny what gets ingrained into the brain.

That's funny. When I used to fork lift, during the first week of employment, I worked a 12 hour shift almost every day.

One day while I was leaving...I got into my car, turned it on...I flipped the TURN SIGNAL up, stepped on the gas, and looked back to reverse..........I was like "Why aren't I going?!"....then I realized I hadn't even put the car in reverse yet.

On some Caterpillars, the shift looks like a turn signal handle on an automobile.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I did a lot of different things when I was young, The first I remember was pulling a wagon up and down roads collecting soda(pop) bottles for 2 cent each, everyone threw them out the car windows back then and very few broke.you have to remember that a 12 oz soda cost 10 cents at the time so it only took 5 bottles to get one, 4 bottles if you drank it there and gave that bottle back.cut grass at 50 cents a yard,each yard was about a 1/4 acre, go to Andrews Air Force Base golf course and look for golf balls that people lost in the woods or in the pond and sell them to the people playing golf at that time, This really paid good,The first job where I got a W2 at the end of the year, was working for a flooring company unloading box cars of wood and tile flooring and stocking the job sites,You don't know how big a box car is until you have to empty one.I got $1.50 an hour and later I got a raise to $2 an hour. after high school at the age of 17 I joined the union as a 1st year apprentice for $2.80 an hour.Worked 2 weeks and bought my first new car, a 1968 Mustang,that kept me in trouble with the Law,I'd love to have that car now.I won M stock for the state of Maryland 1968 in that car, at the drag strip. I am still with the union just retired, can't wait til I'm old enough to collect SS... Haven't had a raise in 9 years. Len

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Dog walker, babysitting.. but the first REAL.. was a gift wrapper at out local Dept store are xmas. Then some Temp jobs.. Redcross phone caller for blood donors, mailroom,.. then Florist, Clothing Distributer, Vet, .....

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
My first paid gig was babysitting my neighbor's pet rats while they were on vacation. I was around 8ish years old. :)

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
My first paying job was when I was 16, that summer I had an internship at Motorola. I did intern there for the next three summers. My first job out of college was as a human resource assistant at Paradise Valley Hospital.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
??Len?? said:
I did a lot of different things when I was young, The first I remember was pulling a wagon up and down roads collecting soda(pop) bottles for 2 cent each, everyone threw them out the car windows back then and very few broke.you have to remember that a 12 oz soda cost 10 cents at the time so it only took 5 bottles to get one, 4 bottles if you drank it there and gave that bottle back.cut grass at 50 cents a yard,each yard was about a 1/4 acre, go to Andrews Air Force Base golf course and look for golf balls that people lost in the woods or in the pond and sell them to the people playing golf at that time, This really paid good,The first job where I got a W2 at the end of the year, was working for a flooring company unloading box cars of wood and tile flooring and stocking the job sites,You don't know how big a box car is until you have to empty one.I got $1.50 an hour and later I got a raise to $2 an hour. after high school at the age of 17 I joined the union as a 1st year apprentice for $2.80 an hour.Worked 2 weeks and bought my first new car, a 1968 Mustang,that kept me in trouble with the Law,I'd love to have that car now.I won M stock for the state of Maryland 1968 in that car, at the drag strip. I am still with the union just retired, can't wait til I'm old enough to collect SS... Haven't had a raise in 9 years. Len

My very favorite car I ever owned was a new 1965 Mustang, rootbeer color. Sure wish I still had it too.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
"Toast Girl" my first job was making toast on sunday mornings at Gilligans Cove. I would get yelled at by the cooks "I NEED MUFFINS FOR THE BENNYS!"
I had never eaten eggs benedict.. and there was no one there named Benny either.. had no idea what they were talking about.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well .... heck memory lane here we come ..... At 16, I was a diver who dove for water~lilies for a man who sold them world wide. Creepy thing .... is he had contracts with different parks, public ponds, even MORGUES" and in exchange for cleaning the ponds and up keep around the properties ponds, weeds ect... he got to use them as propagating grounds for his water lilly business. Anyhow , we would free dive , no mask, tanks , snorkle ......nadda' .. due to the first touch of the bottom...silt everywhere aka "brown out". Water lillys as most view them ....
" on top " of the water , actually have a long strand
( sorta like a root/branch) that connects down to a "tuber" under the mud ....sort of like a patato. This tuber is what we dug up ....aka " our black gold" There awaiting was an innertube we had floating above with a gunny sack wrapped around it, we would throw these tubers into the sack ..... and " One More Dive " ....
Ahhhhhhh " The Good Ol" Days " :p
we were paid by count" ... I think it was about .75 each
JD~:)
PS . Yes I do remember when minimum wage was $1.35 an hour! ;)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
While living at home, I planted trees for Weyerhauser from 13 to 15 (they assumed I was older, and I never thought it important to correct their misunderstanding.

Ran away from home at 15.

From 15 to 18, I worked night shift at a warehouse, primarily driving a forklift (have been able to grow a full beard since 14, so, again, it was assumed that I was older... ;)) and went to High School during the day.

After graduation, I was lucky enough to be accepted into the Peace Corps, where I fell in with evil companions... :p

E

Estefani

I was a hostess in a restaurant when I was about 16 years old, these were my first money and that was my first working position ever:) Great memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.