What's the Best Place for Supplies?

acthereptilian

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I just wanted some suggestions on good websites/stores to buy some supplies for food, enclosure, and entertainment. If you could give some advice or suggestions on where, that would be great! Thanks.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Kapidolo farms has great food toppers. Welcome to the forum. What type of tortoise do you have?

acthereptilian

CA
Kapidolo farms has great food toppers. Welcome to the forum. What type of tortoise do you have?
Currently, I have no tortoise, but I am looking forward to getting one, which is why I'm looking for some good places to buy supplies, thanks for the suggestion by the way.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Currently, I have no tortoise, but I am looking forward to getting one, which is why I'm looking for some good places to buy supplies, thanks for the suggestion by the way.
Welcome. Is there any specific type of tortoise you are looking for? There are a lot of responsible breeders on the forum too.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
if you are getting a baby, definitely someone on this list, such as @Carol S . If you are getting an adult, don't get one from a big box store/pet store. There always some needing rescues. If you are here in SoCal there are some on CL right now (you have to separate out breeders from real rescues), but they are there...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Buy everything you can at home improvement stores. Some specialty items can only be found at pet supply places. Pet stores are the most expensive, and often steer you wrong. Amazon and Chewy are fairly reasonable.

Reactions: Ink

acthereptilian

CA
Is PetCo a reliable pet supplier? I've heard good reviews, but don't know if they're credible.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Is PetCo a reliable pet supplier? I've heard good reviews, but don't know if they're credible.

For tortoises themselves, absolutely not. For individual items if you can't find anywhere else locally they can be, but there are better sources. Also not a great company to support given their history with reptiles in general. You'd be better off with Chewy.

What region of CA are you in? We can probably provide more specific help (don't need an address, but LA area, SF area, Bakersfield, Sacramento, San Diego... )

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
You should read the care sheet on the forum, before you buy anything for your tortoise because the pet store will sell you the wrong items most of the time.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just wanted some suggestions on good websites/stores to buy some supplies for food, enclosure, and entertainment. If you could give some advice or suggestions on where, that would be great! Thanks.
This site has a lot of good items: https://www.lllreptile.com/

Just be sure you know what items you need before buying stuff that is not actually good for your tortoise (as is sold by most pet stores and many reptile supply places).

Reactions: Ink

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'm in the Bay Area, near SF you could say. Chewy does have better ratings.

OK - depending on where you are, the amount of moisture and humidity will be pretty different. If you are in Marin or actually SF, the microclimate is going to be way different than the much hotter walnut creek/concord area. So just take that into account.

A Russian will be good for you in the area, but do keep in mind the microclimate. I personally would not want a tort outside all year in San Francisco, too cold/clammy. As mark twain noted, the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco! I once got on the BART in walnut creek and it was 95 degrees and I came out 45 minutes later in the Civic Center and it was 60 degrees...