What's wrong with Mahoney now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojomo

5 Year Member
Some of you followed my thread about my sick babies. Milton didnt make it and Mahoney got better. At least for a month or so, he was active and eating like crazy. In the last Couple days he's taken a turn for the worse. Tho his shell never began to harden again it's even softer now and he's once again off food and inactive completely. He used to at least make an effort to retreat to his hide but now when I return from work he'll be in the same spot where I left him. His hind legs are completely white except for the foot and very pale around the eyes on back of the neck. Also a little brown around his belly button. Read countless threads on shell rot and guessing he's got some form of this but not much dealing with hatchlings. He's still only about 2 1/2 inches and extremely fragile so a few more questions. Is newspaper ok for dry docking or what should I use? Should I still be giving him his soaks or keeping him completely dry? I will post pics of his hind legs as soon as I figure out how again. Any help is much appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds to me like a vet visit ASAP is in order. I would use paper towel instead of newspaper, just would be my preference. Be sure to keep him about 5 degrees warmer then normal. Hopefully others will have more advice. Good luck, fingers crossed all turns out well.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
How were they raised/kept right after they hatched? If they were kept dry then it might have caused internal damage and he might not get better :/ did the other tort have the same symptoms? Soft shell, not eating, lethargic? Often times when torts become dehydrated as hatchlings it damages the kidney and liver. They may be sold, and act completely healthy the first couple weeks or months, but then all the sudden they go downhill because of the prior damage. I'm super sorry I hope he pulls through. But sometimes you can spend all the money in the world on vets and meds and nothing can be done to save them. :/

jojomo

5 Year Member
Sadly Mahoney just passed :'( Yeah read all about the hatchling failure syndrome (or beef jerky syndrome) when they first started showing symptoms months ago. I'm certain that's what is was and i know they seldom recover but he was doing so good for so long and I guess I got my hopes up. Breeder hasn't responded to any of my several emails since just after shipping. Another sad day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry for your loss.

At least there may be some comfort in knowing what went wrong. Many people never figure it out. You need to tell the breeder.

jojomo

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone and yes Tom I know the breeder won't reply to my emails but I plan on sending him a link to your article about hatchling failure syndrome in hopes he will make some changes so this doesn't happen again. I'm so bummed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.