whats your favorite type of tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelber10

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
long island NY
thier is a lot of species of tortoise so which species is your favorite my favorites are probably radiated torts and aldalbra torts

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
I haven't seen many, nor do I have much knowledge of the different species. Some I think are just outstanding in their color and flash but I am a temperament person. Even when I judge dogs I will go with a good temperament over looks so I have to give my Best In Show to the crazy Desert Tortoise. In my limited experiemce the DT's have just been absolute charactors!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Russian. Just because I have one. He's so friendly and hirarious.

I think the very large and the very tiny ones are cool too. Someday I want to adopt a Sulcata when I could make a good home for one. The tiny ones like Egyptians are fascinating.

I really haven't seen that many in person yet, and still not too many photos either for all the different species.

sift

5 Year Member
I haven't had much experience with torts but as of right now I'd say redfoots and Russians. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The one that happens to be in front of me at the moment.

Yvonne

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I haven't got a favourite not that i have experience with them all but they are all cuties to me, each and everyone has its own character.love them to bits

Clair38

5 Year Member
Mine is Hermann's to as I have one :) I do like to see all the others though, I love all the pictures people post

muddled

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Redfoots! :D Haha, I love their personalities (friends have them, I'm a mommy myself, plus I've seen all the redfoot videos on youtube...), I think they're gorgeous, and just the right size for me! I've seen lots of species and I've read about them too, but since I don't have any personal experience with them not sure what I would make my second choice :} Maybe my vote is a bit biased

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
The one that happens to be in front of me at the moment.

Yvonne

I agree with what Yvonne said. Doesn't matter if it is big or small, colorful or plain, defective or perfect. My favorite is all of them
Patsy

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I love my beautiful Jordanian Greek - she has an amazing personality. I haven't seen to many torts, but I really really like the looks of the Indian and Sri Lankan Stars :)
Which one did you have in front of you Yvonne? :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Not fair Yvonne, you gave my normal answer. :D My kids will tell you I find something special with each and every animal. That I never met one I didn't like. Which is pretty true. I enjoy working with each one and leaqrning it's personality and needs.

I still give my outstanding personality award to the DT I was honored to care for in his finial elderly years. It's the one type I would dearly love to have one of again.

The Homes and Erosa hingebacks have those beautiful doe like eyes that just melt me. Stars have those incredible markings. Love the coloring on the redfoots. Russians are just such charming little piggies.

See I could go on and on, that's why it's whatever I am working with at that moment.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Of the different ones I have cared for over the past several years, my favs are what I have now. Sulcatas and EBT's. This is based on personality!

Rainman69

5 Year Member
Tucson Az
My favorite is the dt. That's really only because it's from the same environment i live in. If i lived in a different climate what ever came closest would probably be my favorite.

baseballturtle48

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've had the pleasure of knowing a number of species over the last 50 years (yikes!). Each one is special in its own way.... one stands out as my all-time love. My first tortoise, and we had him for many years, was a DT named Tortoise. :D All of the DTs I've had have been wise, curious, funny, strong, loyal, and generally full of mischief. I hope someday I'll live in Calif. again and can adopt some DTs in my retirement years. :)

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I love all kinds of tortoises, but my favorites I have worked with are redfoots, galapagos, stars, aldabras, and desert tortoises. Radiated tortoises are my number one favorite.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have had the pleasure of fostering a few different species like Russians, Sullys, DT, RF and of course Greeks.
Like Potato chips its hard to have let alone pic just one. Each is unique in their own way.
DT are curious and Mischevious
Greeks are noisy, docile and sweet
Russians are energetic, great climbers and diggers
The Sully I had was shy and reclusive
And the RF was loving, forgiving and everything for her was an adventure.
So pick one- I'm not sure I could. I chose Greeks because they best fit me and my situation plus they are a smaller tort. So with that in mind I'd say for now Greeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.