What's your red-foots favorite food?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Nightcrawlers, superworms, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs. The only protein he likes is rehydrate or wet dog food and I'd rather give him something else. I need to try chicken next.
Lisa, if it doesn't bother you, get a frozen chick from the pet shop, defrost it in boiling water, cut it up into 4 or 5 pieces with scissors so he can smell the blood and guts then feed. Be sure the the blood doesn't splatter on to your lip as you cut into it. Lol.
Animal protein is full of vitamins they need, including vitamin D. So if your tort is indoors a lot it's a good source. This is another reason a prefer animal protein.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Lisa, if it doesn't bother you, get a frozen chick from the pet shop, defrost it in boiling water, cut it up into 4 or 5 pieces with scissors so he can smell the blood and guts then feed. Be sure the the blood doesn't splatter on to your lip as you cut into it. Lol.
Animal protein is full of vitamins they need, including vitamin D. So if your tort is indoors a lot it's a good source. This is another reason a prefer animal protein.
Your pet shops sell those? Ours only sell frozen mice and rats.

Oh, and no....I won't be doing that. I have no problem feeding those things as I used to have snakes. But I'm not cutting one up.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Your pet shops sell those? Ours only sell frozen mice and rats.

Oh, and no....I won't be doing that. I have no problem feeding those things as I used to have snakes. But I'm not cutting one up.

That made me laugh, thanks.
I fed 1 pinkie per week to my juveniles up to about 20 months old, now they have bits of chicks. Try some fuzzies or mice with your guy. It got expensive feeding fuzzies to my herd, and they started eating them like smarties (not chewing, just straight down)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I can't say anymore. They act like they're starving to death lately. They eat anything you put in front of them even your toes . If you're not paying attention.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
for fruits without a doubt mangos. For protein snails are a big big hit.

Travis

Wisconsin, USA
Is it bad that I just now heard of Mazuri? lol.

I've done a ton of reading on tortoises, and this is somehow the first time i've heard about it. After doing a quick search, it appears to be everywhere... Weird.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

I've done a ton of reading on tortoises, and this is somehow the first time i've heard about it. After doing a quick search, it appears to be everywhere... Weird.
Yeah that's bad, I wouldn't have admitted to it. Lol. :D:D:D

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Be careful....Most of what is easily available is the newer Mazuri "L.S." type and most tortoises aren't fond of it.
The regular, original Mazuri seems to only be sold in larger bags now. I buy it at a feed and tack store that sells horse and cattle supplies.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Cat poop:eek:. Lol
Sorry, but I only just remembered, the amount of times I've had scoop it up out of the garden because they eat it, I had 2 males playing tug of war with it once. They find it where ever it is.
I'm willing to bet that they would choose cat turd over banana. :p:D.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Cat poop:eek:. Lol
Sorry, but I only just remembered, the amount of times I've had scoop it up out of the garden because they eat it, I had 2 males playing tug of war with it once. They find it where ever it is.
I'm willing to bet that they would choose cat turd over banana. :p:D.
Probably the most honest answer :D Red foots have something of a reputation for their love of cat poop! :D

Last edited:

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Mazuri. He LOVES blueberries if I let him swallow them whole. If I cut them in half first he acts like I ruined his meal. He also loves steak and snails but he's been banned from eating snails because the sound of him eating them causes me to have a mental and emotional crisis so slugs it is.

He used to love sweet potato so much. I don't know what happened. Every time I put them on the ground he'd sprint over. Now he beats them up. He rams at them and stomps on them and walks away. He'll still sprint over but only to attack them.

Travis

Wisconsin, USA
So i tried giving my red-foot Mazuri lastnight. He didnt seem too interested in it. Is it because the kind I got was LS?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Yes! It is BAD! Very BAD! You are BAD!!! Bwahahaha! :) but seriously, i only knew about it bcs the breeder who sold me my babies sent good size sample of it with them. It also looked like he was using Mazuri from the very beginning on his hatchlings bcs my little "picky eater" was no eating AT ALL for couple weeks at the beginning. I was not giving Mazuri to them bcs i saw it had some grain in it and I had read "NO GRAIN for torts"... Anyway after few wks of watching one of my tiny babies skninny legs I finally thought to soak couple Mazuri pellets and omg!!!! Tucker started eating! I was so happy I cried that day! I started adding Mazuri to fresh food, mixing with it. Since then I have discovered few other kinds of tort pelleted food and I rotate them now adding a little to their fresh greens

R

Rzm7810

I spent all night last night grinding a huge bag of it in to basically powder for my hatchling when I get him. Plan on getting the greens and misting them so sticks then sprinkling on top like Mrs. dash. By the time I was done grinding. The bag had nonmore room and I had to feel up other baggies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I spent all night last night grinding a huge bag of it in to basically powder for my hatchling when I get him. Plan on getting the greens and misting them so sticks then sprinkling on top like Mrs. dash. By the time I was done grinding. The bag had nonmore room and I had to feel up other baggies.
cuttlebone or mazuri?