Whats Your Redfoots Favorite vegetable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I was curious to see what vegetables your redfoots like the most. Nova has barely eaten any lettuce. So me being a sucker a gave her a cut up green pea which she loved but I know that is only a treat. So what should I do? I am feeding spring mix and I will be going grocery shopping later so what should I get? Also just a question out of curiosity. in the wild what is their natural hide? Im pretty sure they dont have pots half way in the ground to hide in.:p

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Mine love mustard and collard greens,also yellow squash and zuccini.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mine is not a fan of veggies, of course his favorite fruit is mango

LindaF

5 Year Member
With all the problems I have had, my little guy not eating hasn't been one of them. He will eat just about anything in front of him as long as it is fresh. I think dandelions are one of his favorite and everyday he eats on one I "plant" in his enclosure. He likes spring mix and romaine. All lettuce in fact, but I don't give him iceberg. He also likes green peppers, yellow squash and greenbeans, but I was recently told greenbeans are bad for him. Mango and watermelon are his favorite fruits. Worms are also a special treat. It is fun to watch him do the "turtle trot" to catch a worm in his food dish. He makes a mad dash out of the hide if something is wiggling. I also keep Mazuri on hand just incase I haven't made it to the store or something. It is my emergency stand by food. He loves it and sometimes I put a soaked pellet or two into his "salad". For the most part I follow the diet on turtletary.com (or at least try to).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Any kind that you can get at the grocery store, but portabellas seem to be a favorite.

Mushrooms, summer squash, and worms are my Redfoots favorites. I have never seen a forest tortoise turn up it's nose at any of those things.

Scirish

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
When I first got my tort he loved his squash but recently he seems to prefer portabella mushrooms. He just devours them.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I tried mushrooms once but they didn't like it. They eat most any greens ok, but they can't get enough worms. I cut them up for them so it's easier to eat.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would try it again, Cherbear. In the wild they derive a large amount of their dietary fiber from mushrooms. If yours are captive bred and had never had it before, they may not have realized it was food. I can't imagine a Redfoot not liking mushrooms, that would be like me not liking Chinese food :p (I'm eating hot and sour soup and dragon and phoenix rolls right now.... )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Darn it, Kristina...clean that stuff off the keyboard!!!!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
kyryah said:
Any kind that you can get at the grocery store, but portabellas seem to be a favorite.

Mushrooms, summer squash, and worms are my Redfoots favorites. I have never seen a forest tortoise turn up it's nose at any of those things.
I forgot about mushrooms.Mine love them.I've watched box turtles in the wild eating cubensis mushrooms on more than one occasion.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pio loves mushrooms...any kind. We made stuffed mushrooms for Christmas, and I saved all the stems for him. Also butternut squash and if I give him worms, or boiled chicken, he will refuse his greens for two days thinking he'll get some more worms. Protein seems to be on top of his list of favorite foods, but he only get's that once a week now. I used to give protein every two weeks, but since he's inside once a week now. When he's outside he will go from plant to plant until he finds some pansies...nothing tops pansies.

LindaF

5 Year Member
My guy also LOVES cucumbers. I give them instead of fruit sometimes on fruit days. Look at this salad, it looks so good I could eat it.
salad.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Now see I have tried several different types of mushrooms, with mine, because so many people say they love em, and nothing, he looks at them like they are poison. Of course he loves grape leaves and dandelions.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
endive and escarole for greens, but mine really seem to like zucchini and yellow squash

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
Dozer loves his mushrooms and butternut squash, while Aurora sticks her nose up to mushrooms and blows and then pushes them away but give her endive and kale and she goes crazy (she'll also climb in the food bowl on top of them and eats them from underneath her to keep Dozer from getting any). Dozer also loves mango for his fruit and Aurora loves raspberries.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I'll have to try the mushrooms again. That's what I like about redfoots, they eat such a variety of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.