Wheat Grass

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Who is the resident green thumb when it comes to wheat grass? Tips?

Prairie Mom

Hello:) Honestly, I'm not sure what tips you would need, If the seeds are good, the stuff will sprout any where any WAY!:) It's super fast growing too. I've thrown it on top of soil, on top of coir, buried the seeds a little, and even mixed in with a bunch of other grasses,weeds, and flowers. I've sprouted them in the light, and even sprouted them in a dark cabinet. I've seen other members just soak them in water and they sprout.

Keep the seeds moist and you'll have decent sized blades of grass in around ten days or so.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Not much of mine germinated in a soilless container. Maybe the seed is old.

ethan508

Northern Utah
Any food grade whole wheat or 'wheat berries' can be planted. If you find a store that sells bulk wheat that would be the cheapest. Just make sure they haven't been treated, cracked, or baked and they should grow. I planted some that my wife grinds into whole wheat flour for baking. Seed can get old and not germinate but the stuff I used had been in the basement for 4-5 years.

For growing, water the soil well. Scatter the wheat on the soil and cover it with 1/4" to 1" of soil. Lightly water once every day or every other day until it sprouts. After sprouting, once or twice a week watering is probably enough. It should sprout in 5-10 days.

Are you are growing it outside or in a pot? If your climate is super hot (above 95°F) it might not sprout until a cooler spell (wheat is typically planted in the Fall or Spring). Also sometimes critters will eat the seeds (birds especially), a little deeper planting might prevent that.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Was like Bob's Old Mill on sale. Inside. Maybe 20% sprouted.