Wheezing

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
My redfoot has started wheezing when he breathes? Any ideas on what it might be? Maybe not enough humidity? I normally soak him 2-3 times a week. He is about 8 inches and very active. Still eating... I'm kinda worried. Should I consult a vet?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Whistling/wheezing would make me first check humidity level...have you checked this...dry environment can create the sound...is the tort "business as usual" every other way? Eating, basking, drinking and active?

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Yes he is normal. The most humid part of the tubs they are in temporarily is at 50% humidity. When I finish building their new tort table over half of it will be covered. That will hopefully help with humidity. I have him a good long soak and he kinda stopped. He is having regular feces and hasn't acted weird lately. Sometimes I find him and his head and front legs are wet like he is sweating. I put him on quarantine just in case. But I'm not sure if I should consult a vet..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sometimes I find him and his head and front legs are wet like he is sweating.

Does he have a water dish in the enclosure? I mean, torts will walk into the water with their front legs and then dunk alot of their head...

I would venture to say it is "likely" humidity issue...because you have advised that the tort is normal behavior in every other area, right?

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
ascott said:
Sometimes I find him and his head and front legs are wet like he is sweating.

Does he have a water dish in the enclosure? I mean, torts will walk into the water with their front legs and then dunk alot of their head...

I would venture to say it is "likely" humidity issue...because you have advised that the tort is normal behavior in every other area, right?

Yes. He does have a water dish. I've been soaking him everyday and I think it's helping. But I'm not sure! I haven't heard the wheeze again.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I agree with Angela all the way on this. If you're enclosure is covered or almost entirely covered, it really helps with humidity retention. I have a couple links in my signature that may provide a visual for you.