When is it ok to bring young red foot outside? Mazuri food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wltrreed

5 Year Member
Just got my red foot about a week ago and he's slowly getting less shy. Hes starting to get used to me as well I took him outside today for the second time since I've had him. First, I let him soak in the sun then I watched him walk around. He really seemed to enjoy it but kept grazing on clovers and other types of miscellaneous weeds/grass sprouting out the ground. Is that safe?

I took him inside after that thinking he was hungry and I fed him some Mazuri and mustard greens today. The Mazuri food just came in and he seemed to love it. As soon as I put it in his enclosure he must have smelled it and ran to the Mazuri. How often should I feed him Mazuri? Are there any diet routine suggestions?

I'm assuming my cherry head is a he. All suggestions and any advice is greatly appreciated. I'd love for some feedback.... Thanks

Attachments

• image-3130354434.png
    image-3130354434.png
    512 KB · Views: 52

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
He is absolutely adorable....grazing on the weeds and such is fine as long as you do not use pesticides, herbicides nor fertilizer...clean chemical free weeds :D they are very good for a tort...:D

diet routine; variety of food is important, not using any one food as sole food offering

mazuri; I have not used this so I do not know first hand, however, I do offer the forrest mix once a week to the RFs here....I will likely try mazuri eventually...there are lots of folks here that use it, love it and I am confident will be able to answer this question much better than I...:D

Wltrreed

5 Year Member
ascott said:
He is absolutely adorable....grazing on the weeds and such is fine as long as you do not use pesticides, herbicides nor fertilizer...clean chemical free weeds :D they are very good for a tort...:D

diet routine; variety of food is important, not using any one food as sole food offering

mazuri; I have not used this so I do not know first hand, however, I do offer the forrest mix once a week to the RFs here....I will likely try mazuri eventually...there are lots of folks here that use it, love it and I am confident will be able to answer this question much better than I...:D

Thank you!

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I currently use the "50/50" diet plan, described on Mark's site: www.TortoiseLibrary.com. Essentially 50% of the diet is primarily greens, with other vegetables and fruit mixed in. The other 50% is a mixture of Mazuri and ZooMed Forest tortoise diet.

Mine was a bit of a Mazuri junky at first, but he is gradually eating everything else without much fuss, and I'm slowly decreasing the amounts of Mazuri he gets. I feel the ZooMed stuff is a tad better for him.

tortuga_mel

5 Year Member
Indiana
Welcome! He is adorable! Hope you got the answers you were looking for

Wltrreed

5 Year Member
StudentoftheReptile said:
I currently use the "50/50" diet plan, described on Mark's site: www.TortoiseLibrary.com. Essentially 50% of the diet is primarily greens, with other vegetables and fruit mixed in. The other 50% is a mixture of Mazuri and ZooMed Forest tortoise diet.

Mine was a bit of a Mazuri junky at first, but he is gradually eating everything else without much fuss, and I'm slowly decreasing the amounts of Mazuri he gets. I feel the ZooMed stuff is a tad better for him.

Thanks for the help. He loves the Mazuri. He runs for it as soon as I put it down. He loves being outside too

Status
Not open for further replies.