When sullys graze outside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICanICan123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE, Ohio
when sullys graze outside will they tend to go for what they *should* eat (as in, nothing posinous) or should I keep an eye on what he eats when he's outside grazing?
I normally pick out and give him (especially during the cooler weather) what he eats so he (sadly) doesn't get to graze too often.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Usually they will eat what they should (USUALLY)....however, they absolutely can ingest things that are bad...so if you keep an eye on what is growing in your tortoise yard then you should be pretty good..... :D In my opinion :p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ascott said:
Usually they will eat what they should (USUALLY)....however, they absolutely can ingest things that are bad...so if you keep an eye on what is growing in your tortoise yard then you should be pretty good..... :D In my opinion :p

:)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
agree with ascott.... I pull the stuff out of the yard that RV shouldn't have, but it doesn't mean she doesn't eat what she shouldn't have...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you should ahve them in a space that is just for them and clear of things they shouldnt have... they dont always know.. but do ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto everyone else. I have seen mine eat, or try to eat, things that they shouldn't. However, most of the time they won't. There are a couple of types of weeds that sprout up in their pen that they do not eat. I just pull those out by the roots, just to be safe.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Mine will eat creeping charlie every chance they get:(

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have done all I can to remove things that should not eat, but some things in my yard like cannas they dont eat. My sulcata has taken a bite of one and he didnt enjoy the taste and now he just walks right past them..

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
They seem pretty good at identifying different plants.. My boy knows the difference between oxalis and clover... Will chow down on clover and walk right by oxalis...

Tony Won't touch the creeping Charlie..

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Ditto...
My sulcata knows the difference for the most part.
still from time to time he will try to bite or taste things he shouldn't eat:)

HonuFonu23

5 Year Member
Glendale, AZ
I let my wee one graze. But I do watch him.. and so far he will eat the grass in the yard. However, there are certain plants he loves to munch on and ones he doesn't care for.

I have witness him trying to bite other things.. and I think he tried to eat a quarter. But obviously his mouth is way to small for that, lol. Just watch what your tort eats outside and go from there. Never leave them alone for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.