When to stop looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I know we all love our torts and would do anything for them, so my
question would be. If you lost your tort how long would you continue to look before you decided that you were not going to find him/her?

The reason I ask this, is because there is a guy in the Fort Worth area who lost his 12" Sulcata at the park August 26, 2010. I will not speculate on how he managed to loose it but he has several theories on what may have happened to it.

1. That some kids took it and decided to keep it or
2. That it was sold to a local pet store.

So just about everyday since he lost him, he has been posting ads on Craig’s lists for his lost "turtle" that he lost. -his words not mine-

Now don't think for once that I think he should stop looking because I am still waiting to get the call that my cat that was taken in 2005 has been found. I know I would do all I can if my Sulcata was lost, but I also know that if I have not seen or found him in several months that hopes of getting him back are slim.

So do you continue looking for months or years? Or do you come to the conclusion or decision that chances are you’re not getting your pet back?

Thanks..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No harm in still looking and hoping, but I wouldn't run my life around finding it after several months.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tom said:
No harm in still looking and hoping, but I wouldn't run my life around finding it after several months.

I agree no harm in looking...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No harm in looking, but posting everyday is a little much IMHO. I would imagine a 12 inch tortoise (turtle) would be easier to find then say a little russian who escaped 2 years ago from my pen, my neighbor found it in her yard and she was hopping around thinking it was gonna bite her. I would imagine in all likely hood that it was stolen for what ever reason.

also as has happened here a lot people tortoises have gotten out, hibernated over the winter (of course different case for a sulcata) and then found them the next spring so keep an eye out, but don't let it run your life.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
That use to be one of my worse fears. I have even had bad dreams about one getting out or someone taking one. I have taken alot of precautions in containing them, I am not sure I would stop!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would hope that any pet owner would want there pet back and continue searching, but maybe post something once a week maybe once a month to keep it fresh in peoples mind. It just seems like over kill when you are posting something every single day. I look at it like this, if you post every single day, people will get use to seeing it and will stop paying attention to it. so just post once in a while that way it doesn't become an ignored post.

I do hope the guy finds his tort, I actually feel bad for him.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Long before Craig's List, I lost a beloved little dog. She went out to pee one morning and never came back. She was only 3 years old, and I was 19. I looked for her actively for months before I gave up. Even then, I continued to look for her as in eyeing every dog I saw hoping one of them would be her. And I dreamed about finding her for another 12 years. I'd see her running to me down a Kansas country lane, crooked as she was, with her little crooked teeth showing. The dreams and the searching only stopped after she would have reached the end of her life expectancy. I guess if I lost a tortoise, the search would never end.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Edna said:
Long before Craig's List, I lost a beloved little dog. She went out to pee one morning and never came back. She was only 3 years old, and I was 19. I looked for her actively for months before I gave up. Even then, I continued to look for her as in eyeing every dog I saw hoping one of them would be her. And I dreamed about finding her for another 12 years. I'd see her running to me down a Kansas country lane, crooked as she was, with her little crooked teeth showing. The dreams and the searching only stopped after she would have reached the end of her life expectancy. I guess if I lost a tortoise, the search would never end.

I so know how that feels, I am still hoping one day some vet or animal control worker is gonna contact me about my cat that was taken in 2005 because she was micro chipped.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Jacob said:
This Would Suck!

I know, I have gone outside and didn't see Vegas, but when he heard me he came running out. During the night he had dug his burrow deeper and when I first looked in I couldn't see him. My heart was beating very hard..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is this the only place the guy is looking as a way to find his ummm "turtle"?

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
ALDABRAMAN said:
That use to be one of my worse fears. I have even had bad dreams about one getting out or someone taking one. I have taken alot of precautions in containing them, I am not sure I would stop!

I have lived that for about 4 hrs when my 6 yr old son (at the time) left my tortoise shed door open...... my sulcata got out, luckily we found him in our neighborhood , he was sick for 2 days (must have eaten some bad weeds on his exploration) but snapped out of it. since then i have boarded up the bottom of all door ways so if the door is opened the torts cannot get out..... , with that said.......if I lost my sully i would be crushed, if I lost a twenty/thirty thousand dollar Aldabra breeder i would be in an insane asylum!!! :0

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Jacqui said:
Is this the only place the guy is looking as a way to find his ummm "turtle"?

Thats the only place I have seen it, he has even gone so far as to write that Sulcata's can only be cared for by someone with vast experience and that it would die if it didn't get it's daily medications and syringe injections.

If you would like to read the post's, here are the two different craigs list ads that are being posted, 1-2 times per day.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/act/2348194513.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grp/2346471699.html

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Every Spring, and most of the Summer early in the AM and then again late in the afternoon I am still looking for my lost Boxie. There is no way she could have gotten out of my yard, so I know she is here some place......but where????

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I can't imagine losing any pet!! I feel I would never stop feverishly looking.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I would carry on looking, even though I knew the chances were next to nothing of finding it.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
dalano73 said:
question would be. If you lost your tort how long would you continue to look before you decided that you were not going to find him/her?

The reason I ask this, is because there is a guy in the Fort Worth area who lost his 12" Sulcata at the park August 26, 2010. I will not speculate on how he managed to loose it but he has several theories on what may have happened to it.

So just about everyday since he lost him, he has been posting ads on Craig’s lists for his lost "turtle" that he lost. -his words not mine-

Now don't think for once that I think he should stop looking because I am still waiting to get the call that my cat that was taken in 2005 has been found. I know I would do all I can if my Sulcata was lost, but I also know that if I have not seen or found him in several months that hopes of getting him back are slim.

So do you continue looking for months or years? Or do you come to the conclusion or decision that chances are you’re not getting your pet back?

Thanks..

I'm getting so tired of seeing that guy's posts every single day. Who has the time to send the same ad day after day?? At first I felt sympathy for the guy, but now I just want to email him and say "Enough, I'll buy you a sulcata!" Ha! Personally, I think the guy is crazy.

-Matt

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Not reading his posts might be an option.

I don't know when I'd throw in the towel. I have had a hatchling escapee in a foreign land, only to find it three months later. Also, I have caught and released many a Hermann's only to find many of the same individuals year after year within a particular range. Tough to say.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
matt41gb said:
dalano73 said:

Thanks..

I'm getting so tired of seeing that guy's posts every single day. Who has the time to send the same ad day after day?? At first I felt sympathy for the guy, but now I just want to email him and say "Enough, I'll buy you a sulcata!" Ha! Personally, I think the guy is crazy.

-Matt

I am glad that someone else sees this everyday. I felt bad for him to but its over kill. I think he should cut back on how many times he posts the adds...

Baoh said:
Not reading his posts might be an option.

I don't know when I'd throw in the towel. I have had a hatchling escapee in a foreign land, only to find it three months later. Also, I have caught and released many a Hermann's only to find many of the same individuals year after year within a particular range. Tough to say.

Sometimes you don't realize that it's his post until you open it. I have stopped but that is my point, if you post 1-3 times a day for 9 months people stop caring and thats not what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.