When to stop looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber richardson

5 Year Member
I had a friend loose hers for a couple days, she found it in a neighbors yard. He said it was his she just picked him up and sad no and call the police I'm taking him home, she had many pics and vet bills and a habitat to prove it was hers. I've also herd of a guy loosing his in Portland oregon and someone finding it 3 years later in a field a cuple blocks away. Not only did it live threw the cold winters but it was 35 pounds heaver it made the news. I have heard you can micro chip them. So if you have an escape artist then there you go.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Amber richardson said:
I had a friend loose hers for a couple days, she found it in a neighbors yard. He said it was his she just picked him up and sad no and call the police I'm taking him home, she had many pics and vet bills and a habitat to prove it was hers. I've also herd of a guy loosing his in Portland oregon and someone finding it 3 years later in a field a cuple blocks away. Not only did it live threw the cold winters but it was 35 pounds heaver it made the news. I have heard you can micro chip them. So if you have an escape artist then there you go.

Thats cool, and it's also unfortunate that we have people out there that won't even look for the owner, they will just keep it. I am glad your friend was able to her tort back from that bad neighbor..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalano73 said:
I know we all love our torts and would do anything for them, so my
question would be. If you lost your tort how long would you continue to look before you decided that you were not going to find him/her?

The reason I ask this, is because there is a guy in the Fort Worth area who lost his 12" Sulcata at the park August 26, 2010. I will not speculate on how he managed to loose it but he has several theories on what may have happened to it.

1. That some kids took it and decided to keep it or
2. That it was sold to a local pet store.

So just about everyday since he lost him, he has been posting ads on Craig’s lists for his lost "turtle" that he lost. -his words not mine-

Now don't think for once that I think he should stop looking because I am still waiting to get the call that my cat that was taken in 2005 has been found. I know I would do all I can if my Sulcata was lost, but I also know that if I have not seen or found him in several months that hopes of getting him back are slim.

So do you continue looking for months or years? Or do you come to the conclusion or decision that chances are you’re not getting your pet back?

Thanks..

Let him keep looking, and I hope he finds it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Rjhoop said:
Super tough decision!!!One i hope i never have to make:(

I sure its hard on everyone it ever happens to. I have had it happen once and eventually even though you know the pet is gone all thats left is hope...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dalano73 said:
Rjhoop said:
Super tough decision!!!One i hope i never have to make:(

I sure its hard on everyone it ever happens to. I have had it happen once and eventually even though you know the pet is gone all thats left is hope...

Still, once in a while a long-lost pet and owner get reunited...hopefully, this'll be the case, and I, myself, don't begrudge him the space to post daily on Craigslist, as well as all the other efforts he's making to find his pet.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
terryo said:
Every Spring, and most of the Summer early in the AM and then again late in the afternoon I am still looking for my lost Boxie. There is no way she could have gotten out of my yard, so I know she is here some place......but where????

Hope you find your Boxie hiding in your yard somewhere... How long has she been missing?

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
terryo said:
Every Spring, and most of the Summer early in the AM and then again late in the afternoon I am still looking for my lost Boxie. There is no way she could have gotten out of my yard, so I know she is here some place......but where????

Somewhere, I read about a lady with a bunch of boxies that had epoxied a small metal tab onto each of her turtles, and she could/would use a metal detector to find them if needed, since they were always burrowed in. I've never done it, but it's an interesting idea. I don't think the metal tab would bother them if it was stuck to the center of a rear scute (out of the way, where any new growth wouldn't happen). Not sure how big it'd have to be, but for a constantly buried type of turtle/tortoise, it'd be a quick way to find them.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats very interesting, it would definitly take the worry out if you knew there locations when they are buried..

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Edna said:
I think it's code and he's really looking for something else ;););)

how clever are you. good point just may have something there. lindy

i lost my cat many years ago in florida. people said i was crazy , because i wouldnt quit looking , news paper ads the whole works. 8 mos. & the last day of the ad, i got my cat back. long story short, person who had cat seen ad 4 mos. earlier and her husband MADE her give back my friend(cat). cat lived 17 years . i am glad i didnt give up! lindy meooow!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
momo said:
Edna said:
I think it's code and he's really looking for something else ;););)

how clever are you. good point just may have something there. lindy

i lost my cat many years ago in florida. people said i was crazy , because i wouldnt quit looking , news paper ads the whole works. 8 mos. & the last day of the ad, i got my cat back. long story short, person who had cat seen ad 4 mos. earlier and her husband MADE her give back my friend(cat). cat lived 17 years . i am glad i didnt give up! lindy meooow!

You just never know with craigs list...:D

I'm a mega cool nerd!

5 Year Member
I know someone who looked for a couple of weeks then gave up, but the next year they found it living in their neighbours compost bin... Thats why I say look for a while, then wait for them to come to you ;)

TheBennillers

5 Year Member
[/quote]

I'm getting so tired of seeing that guy's posts every single day. Who has the time to send the same ad day after day?? At first I felt sympathy for the guy, but now I just want to email him and say "Enough, I'll buy you a sulcata!" Ha! Personally, I think the guy is crazy.

-Matt
[/quote]

Searching the web for box turtles I found this:

http://www.usfreeads.com/arizona/pe...sulcata-hatchlings-available_2769573-cls.html

(sulcata hatchlings for $50 + shipping)
I'll chip in a couple bucks, Let's just send this guy a sully. He obviously misses his very much, but the truth is that someone probably has it and is not going to give it back... or if it really needed these daily injections to survive, it would have passed by now. Still, I feel bad for guy.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I don't think I would ever stop looking. Emotionally I think I would let go, but I would never give up the search physically. Who knows, one of those Torts that are currently being sold on Craigs list could be his, mine or someone elses.

That is why I am thankful to this forum. I have a Bull Terrier that I got from Blue Ridge Terrier Rescue in Fairfax, VA. My dog is microchipped and tattooed. One day she got out, I called the Bull Terrier Rescue group in Texas with Microchip number and there was an all out search for her. I did get her back. Some neighbor (5 streets a way) thought that they wanted this free Spuds dog that was running loose. When they saw my signs for REWARD and found out she was deaf...they were quick to call. Did I think she was gone, yes...but I had hopes that my resources to find her would. And they did.

Same with this forum....with the help of everyone and the continued reposting of ads and a few phone calls, we might be able to help each other.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
I wouldn't stop hoping & keeping a keen eye out. Many years back we had a huge flood when we were away on vacation... unfortunately, many of my map turtles were washed away & the sitter never found them. I was heartbroken, searched for weeks, but never found one. I have since moved away from home, but every time I visit, I keep my eyes out for them-just in case. I have learned though, a very valuable lesson to keep my turtles very secure, safe, etc when I am not with them.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I said:
I know someone who looked for a couple of weeks then gave up, but the next year they found it living in their neighbours compost bin... Thats why I say look for a while, then wait for them to come to you ;)

I think you have to have a plan on how to search, but if you are asking people every single day eventually they will start to ingnore your requests for help because they get tired of hearing it every single day. Sometimes they are closer than you think also...

DixieParadise said:
I don't think I would ever stop looking. Emotionally I think I would let go, but I would never give up the search physically. Who knows, one of those Torts that are currently being sold on Craigs list could be his, mine or someone elses.

That is why I am thankful to this forum. I have a Bull Terrier that I got from Blue Ridge Terrier Rescue in Fairfax, VA. My dog is microchipped and tattooed. One day she got out, I called the Bull Terrier Rescue group in Texas with Microchip number and there was an all out search for her. I did get her back. Some neighbor (5 streets a way) thought that they wanted this free Spuds dog that was running loose. When they saw my signs for REWARD and found out she was deaf...they were quick to call. Did I think she was gone, yes...but I had hopes that my resources to find her would. And they did.

Same with this forum....with the help of everyone and the continued reposting of ads and a few phone calls, we might be able to help each other.

No one should ever give up looking, but if you post every single day on craigs list people will stop looking at the post because they are tired of seeing it. I know I used the look at the guys post for a week and then I stopped opening them becuase I knew what it was.

That is the only issue I have, I think he should cut it back to once a week or once every two weeks and that would keep people looking...

I'm getting so tired of seeing that guy's posts every single day. Who has the time to send the same ad day after day?? At first I felt sympathy for the guy, but now I just want to email him and say "Enough, I'll buy you a sulcata!" Ha! Personally, I think the guy is crazy.

-Matt
[/quote]

Searching the web for box turtles I found this:

http://www.usfreeads.com/arizona/pe...sulcata-hatchlings-available_2769573-cls.html

(sulcata hatchlings for $50 + shipping)
I'll chip in a couple bucks, Let's just send this guy a sully. He obviously misses his very much, but the truth is that someone probably has it and is not going to give it back... or if it really needed these daily injections to survive, it would have passed by now. Still, I feel bad for guy.
[/quote]

Someone actually posted on craigs list that they have the guys tortoise and because they feel it was neglected they were not going to give it back. It could be someone who was tired of seeing the post's every day and decided they would write that to get him to stop or the person may actually have it. I feel sorry for the guy but he has been posting 1-3 times a day on craigs list since he lost the tortoise and its not helping his cause...

zesty_17 said:
I wouldn't stop hoping & keeping a keen eye out. Many years back we had a huge flood when we were away on vacation... unfortunately, many of my map turtles were washed away & the sitter never found them. I was heartbroken, searched for weeks, but never found one. I have since moved away from home, but every time I visit, I keep my eyes out for them-just in case. I have learned though, a very valuable lesson to keep my turtles very secure, safe, etc when I am not with them.

I'm sorry that happened to you and natural events like that cause's a lot of problems with our pets. This guy unfortunately took his Sulcata to the park and what I can only assuming took his eyes off of him..Anyone who owns a tortoise or turtle know's that they are faster than we think and all it takes is a few seconds and they can travel pretty far. I hope somehow he finds his Sulcata but he won't get very much help posting on craigs list 2-3 times a day because people stop looking at the same adds if they see it all the time..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
DixieParadise said:

Indeed! :cool:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Terry Allan Hall said:
DixieParadise said:

Indeed! :cool:

Just don't over do it to where people lose interest. We as humans tend to bypass things when we see it to much and we lose interest quickly..

Status
Not open for further replies.