Where are My Hatchlings?

Lemonade

5 Year Member
By this time of the year, I have usually found at least 10 hatchlings from my 5 three-toed females. But so far, I have only found 1. It is very hardy but the only one. Usually when I find one, I will find 3 or 4 in the same area but this year, nothing. Is it because of the drought? There are areas of their enclosure that I didn't keep watered due to the increase in cost. Hmm . . .

Lemonade

5 Year Member
So no one else has ever experienced this, are experiencing it now, or have any ideas?

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I once talked with a free range chicken farmer who explained that there is a rain to bug dependency that directly affected his chicken weight gain and egg production. If there was a dry spell his chickens didnt gain weight or lay as many eggs. I wonder if turtles instinctively know that when it's dry to conserve energy and not produce eggs even though we are providing them with enough food.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I once talked with a free range chicken farmer who explained that there is a rain to bug dependency that directly affected his chicken weight gain and egg production. If there was a dry spell his chickens didnt gain weight or lay as many eggs. I wonder if turtles instinctively know that when it's dry to conserve energy and not produce eggs even though we are providing them with enough food.
hmm . . . that's a thought. Their behavior was different this year. They kind of stayed hunkered down in one end of the enclosure and didn't come out to their food dish all that much or to beg for mealworms as they have in the past. It's kind of weird that I did find one very hardy hatchling.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
This morning, a little after 5, I rushed out with my flashlight to the sound of something getting my chickens. It was a raccoon. Not common in my inner-city yard, but I imagine it's a result of the drought. Anyway, I suspect this is the answer to my hatching question.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I got it to drop the hen, but she was mortally wounded. :( I'll start locking up every night.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I was amazed at how big it was too--bigger than my schnautzers :eek:

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I got it to drop the hen, but she was mortally wounded. :( I'll start locking up every night.
Sorry to hear the bad news about your hatchlings and your hen. I had really hoped it was just an off year for hatchling production.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Thank you for your concern. I didn't realize I had a raccoon problem til now, so I haven't tried anything except last night I made sure all vulnerable animals were locked safely away.

I actually realized that I probably have to leave this house within a year of so, so I am currently working on rehoming my turtles. I have already rehomed my adult 3-toeds. This would have been my last year for babies. :(

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
Thank you for your concern. I didn't realize I had a raccoon problem til now, so I haven't tried anything except last night I made sure all vulnerable animals were locked safely away.

I actually realized that I probably have to leave this house within a year of so, so I am currently working on rehoming my turtles. I have already rehomed my adult 3-toeds. This would have been my last year for babies. :(
oh no. you poor thing :( Those dang raccoons. Rehoming pets(I think of them as family) is so hard to do... :(

Lemonade

5 Year Member
oh no. you poor thing :( Those dang raccoons. Rehoming pets(I think of them as family) is so hard to do... :(

Yes, I've actually been thinking that I'd rather euthanize than have them go to unreliable homes. I had a guy interested in my 3-stripe, but he planned to put it in with baby pond turtles, and he got offended when I attempted to educate him.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This morning, a little after 5, I rushed out with my flashlight to the sound of something getting my chickens. It was a raccoon. Not common in my inner-city yard, but I imagine it's a result of the drought. Anyway, I suspect this is the answer to my hatching question.
Oh, better research one of our many raccoon threads.........Or start a new one.
They are very difficult!!