Where to get a rt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducksonmeth

5 Year Member
Hi all, brand new here. Looking to get a Russian tort soon. Where would i be able to find one (Youngstown ohio area)? What kind of startup costs? Thanks very much in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check you local Craig's list. Also fauna classified might have some. But first check out our for sale section and see if any of our members have any. They would be the best to get from if any available. Start up cost I am going to guess, around 150-200 give or take, depending on the choices you make.
BTW, Hello and Welcome :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

We have many breeders here on the forum. I'd get one from them. Most of the ones you see in pet stores are wild caught, and many have problems adjusting to captivity. Start up costs vary a lot. I'd plan on $500 -$1000 for everything, and that is IF nothing goes wrong.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Good advice Tom it is best to not buy from a pet store because I was at a well known chain the other day and they had their Russian in a tank about 18" long by 10" and the poor thing could not even get to its water dish because of all the crap they had crammed in their. He did not look happy. I got mine from a breeder before I knew anything about this site. Good thing you came here first Tom and Lynne and the some of the others defiantly know what they are talking about. Go with a breeder on the forums. I enjoyed buying mine as a hatchling because I am actually raising him and seeing him "Grow Up".

Take their advice.

Cheers

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
ducksonmeth said:
Hi all, brand new here. Looking to get a Russian tort soon. Where would i be able to find one (Youngstown ohio area)? What kind of startup costs? Thanks very much in advance!

Yes, from someone on the board who has extra would be the best choice.
If you must buy from a commerical establishment, I can vouch for the fact I got my first female from theturtlesource.com some years back, and she arrived beautiful and healthy.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
I'd say save one from petco...they may be expensive (100$ in my area, Ma) but whenever i go in there i wish i had room for more, how they keep them is awful ): mine were rescued, and that's another great way, too. this is just me voicing my guilty conscience, lolll. they need to be saved, too, in my opinion ):

but in all reality, if you were to do that i would take them to the vet regardless, so it would probably be the more expensive option. in my area they keep 3 in a 20 gallon long tank...they LITERALLY cannot do anything other than sleep and eat...they couldn't pace if they wanted to )':

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I second the vote for Craigslist. People get tortoises and turtles all the time then no longer want or can care for them. Their loss, your gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.