• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Where to get lights

popeye tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi all,

I am new to the site and I hope this is the right area to ask this question. I was looking to get either the exo terra solar glo or zoo med power sun lights for my interior pen for my sulcatas. I live in Pa and it is time to bring them in. The indoor pen is 8' x 8' and I us lighting for my heat source and it was suggested to me to get this type of lighting.
Also the substrate I use is cypress or hard wood mulch. This is very dusty is there another type of substrate any body can recommend. I am covering a large area and I don't know of anything else.

Thanks, Roy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy my lights off amazon.com. I've found the most reasonable prices there:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

DO NOT BUY THIS KIND:

CFL.jpg

I understand lightyourreptiles.com has a nice selection to choose from. Pet store prices are too high. Shop around online.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you wet the substrate it minimizes the dust. Your tortoise benefits from a moist substrate too.

popeye tortoise

Pennsylvania
If you wet the substrate it minimizes the dust. Your tortoise benefits from a moist substrate too.
Thanks Yvonne, That's what I do know with a large pump spray bottle. Also the lights are so costly is there any one place better the an other. I know you said to try amazon is the best you found. I will follow up with that.

Thank all so much, Roy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spraying doesn't do it. You have to pour water over the substrate - maybe a whole pitcher full, and mix it up with your hand to get all the pieces covered with water. After substrate has been shined on, walked on, packed down, it develops a bit of imperviousness (is that a word?) to water. So you have to agitate it with your hand to make it absorb or get all covered and wet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Exo Terra Solar Glo MVB are half the price of the Zoo Med MVB, but I don't have experience with that brand, so don't know if it's any good or not. I don't have much money, live on a fixed income, but I invest in the Zoo Med bulb because I know it works, it's a good one.

popeye tortoise

Pennsylvania
Exo Terra Solar Glo MVB are half the price of the Zoo Med MVB, but I don't have experience with that brand, so don't know if it's any good or not. I don't have much money, live on a fixed income, but I invest in the Zoo Med bulb because I know it works, it's a good one.
Yvonne,
Thanks again for all you help. It is so nice to talk to people that have the same passion as I do. I was told that zoo med is the better investment as well. I will let you know how I make out with the water.

Thanks, Roy

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
If you buy the ZooMed Powersun be sure to save your receipt and the box. It has a 1 year guarantee and you will need need these two items in order to mail it back to ZooMed and they will send you a new bulb.