Where to get lights

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi all,

I am new to the site and I hope this is the right area to ask this question. I was looking to get either the exo terra solar glo or zoo med power sun lights for my interior pen for my sulcatas. I live in Pa and it is time to bring them in. The indoor pen is 8' x 8' and I us lighting for my heat source and it was suggested to me to get this type of lighting.
Also the substrate I use is cypress or hard wood mulch. This is very dusty is there another type of substrate any body can recommend. I am covering a large area and I don't know of anything else.

Thanks, Roy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I buy my lights off amazon.com. I've found the most reasonable prices there:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

DO NOT BUY THIS KIND:

CFL.jpg

I understand lightyourreptiles.com has a nice selection to choose from. Pet store prices are too high. Shop around online.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you wet the substrate it minimizes the dust. Your tortoise benefits from a moist substrate too.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
If you wet the substrate it minimizes the dust. Your tortoise benefits from a moist substrate too.
Thanks Yvonne, That's what I do know with a large pump spray bottle. Also the lights are so costly is there any one place better the an other. I know you said to try amazon is the best you found. I will follow up with that.

Thank all so much, Roy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Spraying doesn't do it. You have to pour water over the substrate - maybe a whole pitcher full, and mix it up with your hand to get all the pieces covered with water. After substrate has been shined on, walked on, packed down, it develops a bit of imperviousness (is that a word?) to water. So you have to agitate it with your hand to make it absorb or get all covered and wet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Exo Terra Solar Glo MVB are half the price of the Zoo Med MVB, but I don't have experience with that brand, so don't know if it's any good or not. I don't have much money, live on a fixed income, but I invest in the Zoo Med bulb because I know it works, it's a good one.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Exo Terra Solar Glo MVB are half the price of the Zoo Med MVB, but I don't have experience with that brand, so don't know if it's any good or not. I don't have much money, live on a fixed income, but I invest in the Zoo Med bulb because I know it works, it's a good one.
Yvonne,
Thanks again for all you help. It is so nice to talk to people that have the same passion as I do. I was told that zoo med is the better investment as well. I will let you know how I make out with the water.

Thanks, Roy

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
If you buy the ZooMed Powersun be sure to save your receipt and the box. It has a 1 year guarantee and you will need need these two items in order to mail it back to ZooMed and they will send you a new bulb.