Which substrate is best?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That's what I thought, thank you. Would the coco coir be okay for my tortoise? He is roughly 10 years old. I cannot find any fine grade orchid bark.
Its not harmful or dangerous, but it can be kind of messy. Cypress mulch might work better if you can find it.

MistakenMexican

UK
That's what I thought, thank you. Would the coco coir be okay for my tortoise? He is roughly 10 years old. I cannot find any fine grade orchid bark.
Hi Lucy,

I had a similar conversation with Tom yesterday about substrates. After his advice, I went looking online. You can get coco coir from Amazon for £16-£20 for 50L.

My research suggests this is the one of the better options:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WY128O/?tag=

A quick inspection of the product details says this is 100% coco coir that has been treated to remove bacteria. There's no additives and the coco coir is organic, so no chemicals.

The "Plus" version of this brand of coco coir has a mould: trichoderma
I can't find any information if this is safe for tortoises... but it's the more expensive substrate anyway, so I've written it off as unnecessary.

Mrs G

Hi,

I'm thinking of changing my Hermann tortoise's substrate. I have seen lots of people mix eco earth with top soil but is top soil just from somewhere like Wickes okay? Or does it have to be special to ensure safety? Also I have seen this Tortoise Life substrate online at Pets at Home which I imagine you just use by itself, without having to mix anything with it? Which option would you choose/is best? See pictures for detail. Thanks.
Hi there,, I use hemp substrate for my hermann.

LucyA

Crawley
Thank you everyone for all your help. I have just replaced the substrate with top soil. I am in the process of making a new tortoise table for her as I KNOW it is too small! How do you keep the water clean and not full of the soil? ?

Attachments

• 20200701_184113.jpg
    20200701_184113.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 11

LucyA

Crawley
I think this is a mistake.
I'm trialling it out and seeing how she reacts. Going to keep it until I build a bigger table and then if she still doesn't like it, I will then change it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm trialling it out and seeing how she reacts. Going to keep it until I build a bigger table and then if she still doesn't like it, I will then change it
How do you know if there is anything toxic in it while you are trying it? I'm not concerned with whether or not the tortoise likes it. I'd be concerned whether or not it has toxic plants in it, or toxic chemicals.

LucyA

Crawley
How do you know if there is anything toxic in it while you are trying it? I'm not concerned with whether or not the tortoise likes it. I'd be concerned whether or not it has toxic plants in it, or toxic chemicals.

It has been sterilised.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you everyone for all your help. I have just replaced the substrate with top soil. I am in the process of making a new tortoise table for her as I KNOW it is too small! How do you keep the water clean and not full of the soil? ?
You keep the water clean by not using top soil. Orchid bark or coir would have been a healthier safer choice

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi Lucy as your in the UK try swell reptiles online for fine orchid bark. That is where I get mine from amongst other items. I also use coco coir.