Which tortoise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ aria
hello I'm not sure which tortoise to get between hermann's, greeks, russians and egyptians (egyptians are my dream tortoise but are very hard to get). Which one would be the easiest to take care in an in-door enclosure?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would hold off on the Eygptians until you have more experience. Of the other three I personally think the Russians are a bit more forgiving and easier to raise, but they are all pretty equal. Which one catches your eye more?

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I forgot to say this but I'm already the proud owner of 5 desert tortoises :) I'de also like something that's small.I think I want a hermann's

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
tortoise007 said:
I forgot to say this but I'm already the proud owner of 5 desert tortoises :) I'de also like something that's small.I think I want a hermann's

I just got a leopard baby & wanted a smaller tortoise too. I went with the Hermann too. They are all cute though. This summer i want to get a box turtle.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Hermann's generally have the most friendly/fearless personality of the various European species, with Iberian Greeks running a close second, but, with kind, patient treatment, any of the Europeans (Hermann's, Greek, Steppe (Russian), Egyptian and Marginated) will eventually grow tame.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Thank you! How big of an enclosure should I use? I want to use one of those concrete mixing containers thats 2' by 4' is that enough room? What humidity should It be at? I've heard every thing from 30 to 80 percent.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tortoise007 said:
Thank you! How big of an enclosure should I use? I want to use one of those concrete mixing containers thats 2' by 4' is that enough room? What humidity should It be at? I've heard every thing from 30 to 80 percent.

That'd be about the minimum size for one tortoise, but I'd suggest larger...you really can't make an inside enclosure too large, and I'm inclined to 2' X 6' or 3' X 5'. An old dresser, laid on it's back and lined w/ a glued-down vinyl shower curtain is good.

My Hermann's indoor enclosure has humidity of about 50%, and I also soak them 2-3X a week.

Their outdoors enclosure, at the moment, is about 5' X 8', but I'm hoping to have their new enclosure, of 16' X 8', finished by spring.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
OK. I'm not sure if I can have an outdoor enclosure... In the summer it gets to be well over 100 and in the winter its way to cold. there is only maybe a month in between that would be the right temp...but never the right humidity :(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tortoise007 said:
OK. I'm not sure if I can have an outdoor enclosure... In the summer it gets to be well over 100 and in the winter its way to cold. there is only maybe a month in between that would be the right temp...but never the right humidity :(

Gets pretty hot during the summer here, too (late July into most of August we're talking 110+F), but I built them a stone "cave", about 3' X 15", which never gets over 85 or so...they come out in the morning, then back inside until about 4-5pm, at which point they're in their water container, a-chillin'.

ea72e7f6-7d4e-4b94-a598-479159d1a204

Any day that gets to about 68F or warmer, and no cooler than 55F at night is safe for Hermann's, Steppe and the more Northern types of Greeks *Iberians, etc.)...not sure about Marginateds.

During the winter, any opportunity to catch an hour or two of sun, so long asa it gets to 68F or more, they go out on the front porch, too. Otherwise, they live in my home office (not a fan of brumating pet tortoises, and haven't in about 40 years).

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I've heard that moving around a tortoise to much can stress them out really fast.

I live in the phoenix AZ area. If you don't mind me asking, what general area are you in?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tortoise007 said:
I've heard that moving around a tortoise to much can stress them out really fast.

May depend on the individual tortoise...my 1st Hermann's, who was a legacy from my Grandfather, who had her for a bit over 30 years, and then 19 more with me, traveled in a Ford Econoline with me for a few years, riding in a milk crate on a cushion...never affected her appetite, and when she passed, about 15 years later, my vet concluded that her passing was from old age. For the first 3 years he had her, she lived on a Merchant Marine vessel.

I live in the phoenix AZ area. If you don't mind me asking, what general area are you in?

North Texas, about 30 miles west of Ft. Worth, and 60-ish miles west of Dallas. Not quite as hot as Phoenix, but plenty hot enough! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.