White lines between scutes, sensitive to touch.

Wolfie

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
My young sulcata has these thine white lines between her scutes. I noticed when petting her, she reacted in pain when scratched there (which she normally loves). She has been going through a growth spurt and eating a lot of food and cuttlefish bones. Are they just stretch marks? Is she eating too much? I'm not sure what to do!

Attachments

• 1467328152791.jpg
    1467328152791.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 190

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's where the shell grows, and it's a bit tender at first. It will harden off in a few days and be ok.

Wolfie

Montana
Oh thank God, I thought it might be rot or something. She's not growing too fast, is she?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Your tortoise looks great. A little pyramided, but not bad at all. maybe want to bump up the humidity in the enclosure.

The white lines are a good sign of new healthy growth. A way of telling a tortoise is healthy and growing. The outer scute will fill in with a keratin layer growing over that seam as a darker color that gradually fades over a few years. So with an actively growing sulcata you will see those white seams, with darker boarders fading to the lightest colors the middles of each scute.

Wolfie

Montana
Thanks. When I got her, she already had the pyramids, but she's looking good. Specially considering what her last home was like. Thanks for all the help!

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
The random jolt of pain reaction my russian did when my nail accidentally pressed into the fresh growth line scared the crap out of me.
But as everyone mentioned, the growth lines got hard and now its okay.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Your tortoise looks great. A little pyramided, but not bad at all. maybe want to bump up the humidity in the enclosure.

The white lines are a good sign of new healthy growth. A way of telling a tortoise is healthy and growing. The outer scute will fill in with a keratin layer growing over that seam as a darker color that gradually fades over a few years. So with an actively growing sulcata you will see those white seams, with darker boarders fading to the lightest colors the middles of each scute.

That was a good description of what is going on. I kind of thought that is how it works. It is great to have someone explain it clearly. Thanks You.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My young sulcata has these thine white lines between her scutes. I noticed when petting her, she reacted in pain when scratched there (which she normally loves). She has been going through a growth spurt and eating a lot of food and cuttlefish bones. Are they just stretch marks? Is she eating too much? I'm not sure what to do!

What gives you the impression that the tortoise reaction was one of pain? Each of the tortoise here as well as the turtles all will wiggle and swing their bodies about when they are touched with my nails....I bet that the tortoise is actually getting an itch scratched so to speak....you may want to google some videos of turtles dancing, tortoise scratching and compare to the reaction your tortoise offered?????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What gives you the impression that the tortoise reaction was one of pain? Each of the tortoise here as well as the turtles all will wiggle and swing their bodies about when they are touched with my nails....I bet that the tortoise is actually getting an itch scratched so to speak....you may want to google some videos of turtles dancing, tortoise scratching and compare to the reaction your tortoise offered?????

Here on the Forum, we use the scientific term for that, Ascott - Hootchy Kootchy Dance.

Wolfie

Montana
I pretty sure she was reacting in pain because she does her hootchy kootchy dance when I scratch her butt. She acted the same way this time as she did when she accidentally ate a woodchip and pooped it out.

Mydoggiz

Akron, OH
Im new here! My torts name is Walter. He also has white spots that are sensitive to the touch. They're a bit different though. Thicker id say. Thoughts??

Attachments

• 15062933490282019395636.jpg
    15062933490282019395636.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

Mydoggiz

Akron, OH
P.S. I have read through these forums tons even before buying Walter! You guys all have some valuable information!

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Im new here! My torts name is Walter. He also has white spots that are sensitive to the touch. They're a bit different though. Thicker id say. Thoughts??
I have a feeling you are in the same boat as the original poster. Your tortoise looks just fine, and will continue to be fine as long as you adhere to the guidelines written by the knowledgeable Sulcata keepers on the forum.:)

Last edited:

Mydoggiz

Akron, OH
He still acts the same. He was fine when I was washing him with q-tips. He eats great. Very active. This is the first time hes gotten the thicker spots so i was a tad nervous.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
One thing I see in the photo though, is that you are keeping him on straw. This in not a good idea, as straw is very dry, and will cause pyramiding, kidney stones, and kidney failure. Replace it with coco coir, or fine grade orchid bark. He needs to be kept at over 80% humidity while he is growing to be healthy.

Mydoggiz

Akron, OH
He has timothy hay in the hiding areas, organic dirt, and rocks in his set up now. I try to soak him every other day as well as mist inside his set up. He likes to burrow in the hay. I used to have mulch and have been thinking about putting that inside the hiding areas again

Mydoggiz

Akron, OH
This is his set up which is a bit messy right now :oops:

Attachments

• 20170924_200603.jpg
    20170924_200603.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42

Mydoggiz

Akron, OH
Hes very ornery and picky. Def spoiled rotten. My friend watched my pets while we went on vacation and she said he wasnt acting the same as when im home. I was so worried but he was fine when i got back. I never though id love a reptile so much. LOL

Mydoggiz

Akron, OH
He does have slight pyramiding though so i know i need to change something around

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
A couple things:

1.) That water dish is a tipping hazard, as it has very steep sides. They are fine for snakes and lizards, but not tortoises. Replace it with a terra cotta plant saucer found at any garden center.

2.)Your enclosure has an open top, which makes it nearly impossible to keep humidity over 80% in there. Try putting something simple over the top, like Saran wrap with aluminum foil around the lights.

Are you using a coil or loop type CFL? What are the temperatures and humidity?