White on shell

Sharla

Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire
Heyy! I've read a few things on different posts some that explain on growth, others to Scrub and some that are infections and vets that fob off with wrong answers. So I turn to the experts..... what is this white dry looking stuff on the shell? Should I be scrubbing? Is it growth or should I be treating it ?
Thanks everyone in advance

Sharla! X

Attachments

• JPEG_20220811_154925_8614318024743811180.jpg
    JPEG_20220811_154925_8614318024743811180.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • JPEG_20220811_154947_7804005553985583963.jpg
    JPEG_20220811_154947_7804005553985583963.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can we see the plastron? (Bottom)
I think it could be fungal. Get some ATHLETES FOOT CREAM and apply a light coating to the effected areas.
If it is fungus. It'll stop growing and if it isn't fungus, it'll do no harm.
It looks like his enclosure is staying too wet or dirty.

Sharla

Derbyshire
Fab thanks for the info, I thought I had replied yesterday but must of just done it mentally 🤣 .
I got some athletes foot cream and put it on yesterday and today.
Just to double check do you mean the bottom of the shell? I'll aim at getting the substrate at the bottom a bit drier and see if the cream works🙂

Attachments

• 20220814_181411.jpg
    20220814_181411.jpg
    985.5 KB · Views: 6

zovick

10 Year Member!
Heyy! I've read a few things on different posts some that explain on growth, others to Scrub and some that are infections and vets that fob off with wrong answers. So I turn to the experts..... what is this white dry looking stuff on the shell? Should I be scrubbing? Is it growth or should I be treating it ?
Thanks everyone in advance

Sharla! X
I don't think it is a fungus since there is none on the bottom shell. It also doesn't appear from viewing the plastron that you need a drier substrate. The plastron looks healthy and may even be a bit dry.

It looks to me as though the whitish areas are more likely to be mineral deposits from hard water. These will come off with white vinegar and a scrub brush. Try not to get the vinegar in the eyes as it will sting. Lemon juice might work also. Additionally, if you warm the vinegar a bit first, it will work better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't think it is a fungus since there is none on the bottom shell. It also doesn't appear from viewing the plastron that you need a drier substrate. The plastron looks healthy and may even be a bit dry.

It looks to me as though the whitish areas are more likely to be mineral deposits from hard water. These will come off with white vinegar and a scrub brush. Try not to get the vinegar in the eyes as it will sting. Lemon juice might work also. Additionally, if you warm the vinegar a bit first, it will work better.
I agree.
Fungus would normally happen first on the plastron and his looks great.
It is definitely water stains or some other superficial marks like maybe from rubbing up against something. Or maybe even dried dirt.
So it's great news.
Keep the anti fungal cream in your supply kit. With a Redfoot tortoise, you're likely going to need it at some point.

Sharla

Derbyshire
Brilliant! Thank you both so much for your responses! I'll give it a scrub and keep an eye on it. Creams gone in the cupboard ready.

Thank you both again! 🙂