paigebx

Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and just wanted some advise.

I have a horse field tort called Totty (she is actually a he as we found out recently) Totty is around 10 we think, we had her of a friend who had her off another friend...

I've noticed Totty's shell is looking different, almost like white scabby spots on it? I have attached a photo.
She is still eating and loving life as normal, no behaviour changes to report. She did spend the last week outside in her enclosure, and being in Britain we had a mini heatwave followed by a tonne of rain, however when I fetched her in due to the temperature dropping she was dug down and still very happy and almost looking at me in dusgust as to why I had disturbed her.

Anyway any advise would be great! Do I need to contact the vet?

Finally, If any one can recommend someone local to Derbyshire who could do beak trims that would also be great!!

Attachments

• Tottys shell.jpg
    Tottys shell.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi Everyone,

I have a horse field tort called Totty (she is actually a he as we found out recently) Totty is around 10 we think, we had her of a friend who had her off another friend...

I've noticed Totty's shell is looking different, almost like white scabby spots on it? I have attached a photo.
She is still eating and loving life as normal, no behaviour changes to report. She did spend the last week outside in her enclosure, and being in Britain we had a mini heatwave followed by a tonne of rain, however when I fetched her in due to the temperature dropping she was dug down and still very happy and almost looking at me in dusgust as to why I had disturbed her.

Finally, If any one can recommend someone local to Derbyshire who could do beak trims that would also be great!!

I believe the spots to which you are referring are the little white dots on some of the scutes. Those are just small areas of eroded keratin, areas where the normal keratin layer has been chipped or is missing for some other reason. The white you see is the underlying bone. Many tortoises exhibit this to some extent or another.

There does not seem to be any active infection or disease process occurring now, so I would not be concerned about it.

I am in the US so cannot offer you any recommendations on any local Derbyshire vets or others who can do beak trimming.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi Everyone,

Hello and welcome. I agree with what Zovick said.

Also, here is the correct care info. Look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome from Angie in Devon. I'm glad you found this forum, as it really is the best one there is - there are lots of people here who really do know about tortoise care from their own experience, and Tom, above, is probably more knowledgable than anyone.
You will find that they are also very knd and patient, too!
I used to live in Nottingham, and spent quite a lot of time in Derbyshire, but that was before Zola came into our lives, so I never had any experience of vets. Is Totty's beak very overgrown or damaged ?- please send a photo of her mouth, which will make it easier to see what needs doing. It might be something you could deal with yourself.
We have Zola, a Hermanns, who is 23 years old, and he has been with us since he was a baby. This forum wasn't around when we first had him, and information was very difficult to find, as well as often being wrong, anyway. He wasn't very well at first, but he is now a very happy and lively chap - a bit small, perhaps, but we think he's wonderful.
Totty sounds a great personality.
Best wishes from Angie