Who's got the smoothest shelled Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Onarock, that tortoise looks HUGE and smooth!! Nice one, and 13 years old? Wow, my female is 12 years and 11 inches.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Neal Butler said:
Onarock, that tortoise looks HUGE and smooth!! Nice one, and 13 years old? Wow, my female is 12 years and 11 inches.

Thanks. Yeah she is big, but not my biggest female. The little guy behind her in this pic is 11". Neal, I think she is an example of why I love babcocki. They can get good size, I love the round shells and I love the speckeled coloration they tend to keep over time. They are a bit more challenging than pardalis, but its worth the work.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That's exactly why I like them too. The pardalis I have seen are not as colorful as babcocki's.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
onarock said:
Neal Butler said:

Thanks. Yeah she is big, but not my biggest female. The little guy behind her in this pic is 11". Neal, I think she is an example of why I love babcocki. They can get good size, I love the round shells and I love the speckeled coloration they tend to keep over time. They are a bit more challenging than pardalis, but its worth the work.

Onarock can you take some pic's of your other leo's I would love to see them all how many do you have ?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
coreyc said:
onarock said:
Neal Butler said:

Onarock can you take some pic's of your other leo's I would love to see them all how many do you have ?

I only have 4 and yes I can post more pics.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
P. Pardalis are rare(er), supposedly bigger, supposedly easier to keep (although I've never seen a difference in ease of care), but it'd be hard to argue that any pardalis looks better than a good looking babcocki....

LeopardSisters.JPG

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
yeah baby! Tyler and Onarock, we should all get together and start Babcocki fever with everyone and put Tom outa business! :) (I'm joking everyone)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, and YOU'LL be outa business after the first cold spell... we'll see a post asking about Baytril dosages for leopards with runny noses...

Meanwhile, mine will be getting extra hydration by eating the grass with the morning's frost still on it...

haha

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Neal Butler said:
yeah baby! Tyler and Onarock, we should all get together and start Babcocki fever with everyone and put Tom outa business! :) (I'm joking everyone)

that sounds great, but I have a feeling that my p.pardalis would find out and start hating on me. I love them both.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Tyler, those last 2 are awesome!..There are some really nice looking Leopards in these pics.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oh it's on now! I'm feeling a Babcocki vs. Pardalis debate coming on.....I'll see you after finals!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
LOL, come on, Tom, I think you're relying on books to tell you that one is more "cold hardy" than another. I've kept them all for years in cold and hot and none does any differently than another. My yellowfoots experience the same cold as my leopards, and my elongateds, and my everything else, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no tortoise species that is more "cold hardy" than another (certainly not a sub species difference). They'll die at 25 degrees, and live at 30. Cold hardiness is a sales pitch.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No, not at all. In fact, I can't remember seeing that in any book. When I picked up the hatchlings it was 53 degrees, overcast and 8:30 in the morning. All the Gpp were up and about, grazing and walking around. One female was even digging a nest. NONE of his other species were out of their heated boxes, including the babcocks. I also saw wild ones running around doing their thing in the 50's down at the Cape Point Preserve in SA. None of my old babcocks were up and moving at those temps.

Further, the climate where they come from is vastly different. You have to think that that means something, don't you?

Like Vince that did the Bowsprit presentation at the TTPG said, if you want Bowsprits to survive, you have to move to an area with the right climate.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Tom said:
Further, the climate where they come from is vastly different. You have to think that that means something, don't you?

I agree that certain torts are going to be out and about at different temperature ranges than others for sure, I just don't know that I'd call that "cold hardiness." My russians are out more when it's 65 than my pancakes are, but they'd both be dead at 25 degrees LOL. If one could live through 25 degrees, I'd call that one cold hardy.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
TylerStewart said:
Tom said:

I agree that certain torts are going to be out and about at different temperature ranges than others for sure, I just don't know that I'd call that "cold hardiness." My russians are out more when it's 65 than my pancakes are, but they'd both be dead at 25 degrees LOL. If one could live through 25 degrees, I'd call that one cold hardy.

good point Tyler I guess you would call that a behavior not an adaptation. I get it. Never thought of it that way....HMMMM

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
LeopardSisters.JPG

[/quote]

Is the tortoise on the left the same one on your website for sale??? I want to buy that tortoise, I have my Army Bonus coming up in March. I am so going to get a nice tortoise like that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.