Why are ppl. still breeding sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

dds7155

5 Year Member
I don't understand why people are still breeding Sulcata,,, in ten years from now most of these cute little hatching that people are building these cute tables for that they out grow in 2 years will be in passed from home to home or dead, it's sad to me ,,but that just my opinion,,,,,

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Money would be my opinions top on the list. I do have to say though. Not all people breeding them are in it for that. Some people could get a couple babies from different sources raise them up, give them outstanding care. Then one day want to succeed in accomplishing to produce them.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Partly because I like to and also because people want to buy them.

I can sell more than I could ever produce.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because there is a market for the babies. The people who sell those cute little babies are far removed from the people who take in the 30lb monster that digs up the landscaping. As long as there are people to buy them, the breeders will continue to breed them.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It is sad, however, because the OP has a good point. Most of all baby sullies will go from home to home or die. The problem isn't with the breeders though. People have to know what they're getting into, and unfortunately, they don't. So, it's up to us to help educate people. We can also help promote accurate information on these amazing creatures. Hopefully, there may be a less demand for them and breeders can focus on other tortious to breed.

dds7155

5 Year Member
Baoh , just cause there a market?? these are long lived animals ,, Really,,

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
To bad we couldn't Ship all the ones people don't care for here back ....... to help wild population in Africa. I know you shouldn't let you pets go due too sickness . But could be a answer to the decline of wild populations

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

swatsx

5 Year Member
I wonder what it would cost to ship them back and let them go the torts are free but would it live in the wild? Could be a good idea I'd donate

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
dds7155 said:
Baoh , just cause there a market?? these are long lived animals ,, Really,,

Maybe I also do it "just 'cause" it makes people with differing opinions upset.

I am a long-lived animal and there is also a market for me.

;)

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Why are they still breeding them? Because, people like me exist! I want another as a baby to enjoy watching it grow, getting pics of my kids with it as he gets larger, ect.

I sure miss my Tomato, she was nearly full grown and I watched her form into the big sully she was. :(

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
People breed sulcatas because it is fun. You learn about wild animals, it's interactive. And there is a strong market.

It is that simple.

I recently saw imsges of a few where the person got eggs, burried them so they would hatch in his backyard, and they fended for themself. The are spectacular animals essentially captive wild. Now many years old, they look great.

Will

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Still, it is sad how many are up for 'adoption' or 'for sale'.
It's just not the same as breeding smaller tortoises, which many people could feasibly keep for a long time. It takes special people to keep Sulcatas for decades.

And fortunately, Baoh, we don't have to rescue you from a too small aquarium. And you can provide your own housing and food. ;)

I would love to raise one from a hatchling, but I am too old and I don't have the room, so I won't.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I think things may, at some point soon, get even more towards where RES are now. They can't survive in as many places, and they are probably tougher to care for than RES, and they arent cheap enough to be sold at flea markets or roadside shops yet, but you get the idea.

When they show up on Craigslist, people demand too much money for them often times. A RES can be put up there for free and people may not take them. Put a tortoise up for free, no matter how big it gets, and your phone will ring off the hook. They're not quite there yet.

Why are we still breeding RES for the pet trade? That's the question. And I believe the answer, as sibi eluded to, is that buyers often times refuse to educate themselves. It's as simple as that.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
lynnedit said:
Still, it is sad how many are up for 'adoption' or 'for sale'.
It's just not the same as breeding smaller tortoises, which many people could feasibly keep for a long time. It takes special people to keep Sulcatas for decades.

And fortunately, Baoh, we don't have to rescue you from a too small aquarium. And you can provide your own housing and food. ;)

I would love to raise one from a hatchling, but I am too old and I don't have the room, so I won't.

Baoh helps those who help themselves. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.