Why does my dog do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville,FL
Our oldest dog loves to carry things around in his mouth. When he was a puppy he would actually take try to take his blanket out on walks with us. On occasion when he got it out the door he would ball it up to carry it up and down the stairs and if it started to drag he would stop and readjust it in his mouth. Now instead of his blanket he has this one toy in the backyard that he always has to grab first thing when he goes out. No matter how bad he needs to go to the bathroom he will not go till he finds his toy to carry around. When in the house he will go to his room and grab his blanket and drag it around the house. He just loves to carry things around. Anyone have any idea why?

Here is some background on him
He is 4 years old, a weimaraner/black lab mix. We adopted him at 6 months old, he had lived on the streets till then with his sister.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
a weimaraner/black lab mix.
6 months old, he had lived on the streets till then with his sister.

Well, while there is no way to absolutely "know" what is going through his reasoning thinking....I would venture to say that the breed mix he is, is a huge driving force in this along with the fact that there was likely a time when he had to grab his valuable food and run when he was living wildly on the streets.....

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/weimaraner.htm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labrador.htm

Your dog is likely satisfying the need to carry that is a strong drive in them....they have a generally softer bite (due to their hunting and bird point/retrieval....so the carrying an item would make perfect sense to me....I have a cousin who inherited a retriever and I can not recall a time that the dog does not carry a favorite item or two upon entry into the house and entry back into the yard.....very funny.

Some may interpret the constant carrying as obsessive and yes it is....even if you were to field this dog it would always have the drive to carry and hold....just a part of the breeds that can display itself this way....

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I like your analysis, Angela. I also think that a retrieving breed is more likely to feel the need to carry something in its mouth much of the time. As you said, these dogs were bred to have a "soft mouth," which is not a conformation but a behavior. It means that they were originally used to find waterfowl that had been gunned down, and then bring them back to the hunter undamaged. A household toy makes a fine substitute for a duck.

Add to that the fact that this dog and his sister had to survive on the streets for the first part of their lives, and I think he may be doing it as a way to help relieve anxiety. I wouldn't worry about it, though. I see a lot of retrievers walking around with something in their mouths a lot. :)

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
I had assumed it had to do with his breed, but just wanted to check. I have never seen a dog carry things around so much. He is so careful with it too. He doesn't like his blanket to drag, so he balls it up to keep it from dragging lol. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.