Why does my new red foot look so different than my first?

Numb

Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake Utah
I just adopted this new guy/gal today and noticed the white marks on him/her. My first baby has nothing like that as I show in the pics. I searched shell rot but its not patchy at all or flakey and didn't look like any of the pics. All advice needed! Thank you in advance.
20230616_160914.jpg

Attachments

• 20230616_161033.jpg
    20230616_161033.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230616_161039.jpg
    20230616_161039.jpg
  • 20230616_160937.jpg
    20230616_160937.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
This is normal. It’s called marbling. It’s quite normal for the cherryhead type of redfoot to get it. The color on the head and other extremities are also different then a “regular” redfoot. Cherryheads usually have darker red or a peachy red color. Technically they are the same species but there are quite a few variants of them, as they are found through most of South America in different climates.

Numb

Salt Lake Utah
Thank you so much! I was ready to fight shell rot. I love the deep cherry colors! Still going to take a trip to the vet for a health check but wasn't able to get in for 4 weeks 😕. I think this group actually knows more than my exotic vet to be honest.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Some of the people here have vastly more experience than most "exotics" vets when it comes to tortoises. And they will quickly advise you not to keep a pair of tortoises in the same enclosure, if that's what you are going to do, for the best reason of all - each one's health and comfort. Beautiful redfoots!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. Two tortoises should never be kept together. No matter the species. No matter the sex.
And it's very unadvisable to place a new tortoise near an established tortoise. Because of possible contagious diseases.
I usually quarantine for no less than 3 months.
That's a Cherryhead of unknown sex and a likely male Northern Redfoot.
(From the shell shape)

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just adopted this new guy/gal today and noticed the white marks on him/her. My first baby has nothing like that as I show in the pics. I searched shell rot but its not patchy at all or flakey and didn't look like any of the pics. All advice needed! Thank you in advance.
View attachment 358101
I would really recommend separating those two tortoises and not keeping them together (as Tammy already mentioned). In two of the photos, the smaller one is giving the larger one quite a menacing look to warn it that it is not welcome in the smaller tortoise's territory.

They will both do better if you keep them apart. Additionally, it is always good practice to quarantine any new arrival for 6 weeks or so before allowing it to have contact with your already established animal(s).

Numb

Salt Lake Utah
Some of the people here have vastly more experience than most "exotics" vets when it comes to tortoises. And they will quickly advise you not to keep a pair of tortoises in the same enclosure, if that's what you are going to do, for the best reason of all - each one's health and comfort. Beautiful redfoots!
They will not be in the same enclosure. Thankfully my husband helped me build raised "garden beds" with 2' tall protective fencing to keep predators away. 😊

COmtnLady

Colorado
My Redfoot had some of that when she first showed up, I took a soft-ish brush and gently rubbed at it lightly a few times during soaks, and it went away. I don't know if the brush did anything or if it was going to go away anyway, but she doesn't have that anymore in either case.

She had been too dry for an unknown time before she came to my house which might have had something to do with it. Perhaps the same thing happened to your new one.

Love the pics! Share more!