Why Hermanni like to eat small Shrimp(Macrobranchium nipponense)and is it a proper food for them?

lugui

Location (City and/or State)
Shanghai, China
I have 3 eastern hermanni, their names are Ase(male,400g), Ada(female,500g), Abam(female,250g), they are about 3 years old. Once I was feeding my turtle by shrimp, (which is the main food in addition to the Mazuri 5M87), Ase was around me and started to bite the shrimp shell. Just out of the curiousity, I gave him one shrimp to take a shot. However, he ate it quickly, and seemed enjoyed it very much. The other day, I tried Ada and Abam too, with fresh shrimp as well as dried shrimp(standard turtle food), and suddenly my 3 Hermanni become the Shrimp Fanatics.Once they notice that I am about to feed them shrimp(mostly dried ones),they gonna scramble to me desoerately just to get a good position so that they can eat firstly. I havent seen that kind of scenario when giving them other food like vegetables or fruit,or any pellets. My concern is that if shrimp could be among their diet since they like it so much. Currently, I feed them 3 times a week and about 5 grams each.

Below is the Nutrient content (per 100 grams) I found online about the Shrimp.
329 mg potassium, 87 kcal of heat
325 mg cholesterol, 240 mg calcium
Phosphorus 133.8 mg, 186 mg sodium
Magnesium 60 mg, vitamin A 48 microgram
Selenium 29.65 g, protein 16.4 g
Vitamin E 5.33 mg, Fe 4 mg
Fat 2.4 g, Zinc 2.24 mg
Copper 0.64 mg, 0.27 mg manganese
Thiamine 0.04 mg, 0.03 mg riboflavin

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are opportunists. They will often take advantage of a protein source when it presents itself.

As you've seen a little bite now and then won't kill them, but its not good for them either. I would not feed them shrimp.

Also, your tortoises are starving. 5 grams three times a week? That's not enough food. Tortoises are grazers. They should be able to graze at will all day. Put down a big pile of the right food every day and let them eat. This might make them less likely to want to eat unusual stuff like shrimp.

lugui

Shanghai, China
Tortoises are opportunists. They will often take advantage of a protein source when it presents itself.

As you've seen a little bite now and then won't kill them, but its not good for them either. I would not feed them shrimp.

Also, your tortoises are starving. 5 grams three times a week? That's not enough food. Tortoises are grazers. They should be able to graze at will all day. Put down a big pile of the right food every day and let them eat. This might make them less likely to want to eat unusual stuff like shrimp.
Thank you for you reply. For Shrimp, they have 5 grams three times a week. They have their daily meal with other food. But daily main food is pellets.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Currently, I feed them 3 times a week and about 5 grams each.

I'm sorry. I misunderstood that you meant you were feeding them 5 grams of shrimp three times a week. I thought you meant all food total was only 5 grams three times a week. My apologies.

I would stop feeding them the shrimp. They don't need it and its not good for them. There are no shrimp to eat where wild hermanni occur.

lugui

Shanghai, China
I'm sorry. I misunderstood that you meant you were feeding them 5 grams of shrimp three times a week. I thought you meant all food total was only 5 grams three times a week. My apologies.

I would stop feeding them the shrimp. They don't need it and its not good for them. There are no shrimp to eat where wild hermanni occur.
Thank you for your advice!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I guess they should be given "naturally occurring" protein like snails, slugs, caterpillars and baby mice. Mine get baby mice ("pinkies") once per week now and hard boiled egg sometimes too.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!:)

Please post pics of your torts. ;)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I guess they should be given "naturally occurring" protein like snails, slugs, caterpillars and baby mice. Mine get baby mice ("pinkies") once per week now and hard boiled egg sometimes too.

What species are your tortoises? Many species need animal protein, but Hermanni are not thought to be one of them.

lugui

Shanghai, China
baby mice sounds creepy for me, and I don't want them to be killers :tort::)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What species are your tortoises? Many species need animal protein, but Hermanni are not thought to be one of them.
Sorry! I was only thinking at the time of what I give my redfoots! I am learning here, for sure!