Why is my tortoise so big?

Louise66

Location (City and/or State)
Milton Keynes uk
I have two Herman tortoise, both male (I've seen it) both fed the same , same temps same enclosure , same room . We had them both at the same time now just over two years old ,
One is so much bigger than the other , they are fed pellets twice a week , the rest fresh food we either grow or forage.
Anyone know why this is happening?
The left picture is the smaller one .
Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• 20210912_103836.jpg
    20210912_103836.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20210912_103820.jpg
    20210912_103820.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Because they are housed together. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs, specially two males.
Seperate them so the smaller one doesn't have to put up with the bullying and can hopefully catch up.

Louise66

Milton Keynes uk
Because they are housed together. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs, specially two males.
Seperate them so the smaller one doesn't have to put up with the bullying and can hopefully catch up.
They are not in the same enclosure, sorry if that was not clear , they are in identical enclosures in the same room., everything is the same for each just on other sides of the room .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is why we say they all grow at different rates. I've raised many groups of hatchlings of several species from hatching to adult over the years. In every group, some grow faster than others. Some get larger than others. Some grow fast initially, then slow down and get passed, or vice versa. There are many factors at work here, and its not always possible to sort out why it goes one way or the other.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are from the same breeder , bought at the same time . They are both definitely male if you know what I mean, once seen never forgot
Then it's just the way it is. Not all tortoises grow at the same pace or even the same size.
They look great and sounds like you are doing a good job so don't worry.