Why is Opo pyramiding?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hello everyone, Opo is about 1.5 years old 9 in long. I started Opo out dry for the first 3 months until I found this site. Changed everything from better closed enclosure to lighting and heating sources. Humidity always 85 to 95 percent. Food changes also. Have everything on thermostats and have a temp gun. Soak Opo religiously everyday. After Opo's soak I give a shower in the sink. I noticed this is when Opo drinks most water. After shower I rub the shell with virgin cold pressed non GMO coconut oil. Haven't seen urates for a few months. I live in Florida so until it started cooling down. Opo stayed on the screen porch with hide and basking lamp. Outside everyday to graze and sunshine. Calcium and vitamin supplements twice a week.
Here is Opo's shell. When Opo has a growth spurt it goes down a little. I am just wondering at Opo's size when Opo gets bigger is the pyramiding going to get worse? I will not give up the fight. :(:(:(:mad:
Any suggestions please!!!!

Attachments

• 20181124_122028.jpg
    20181124_122028.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I would need to see Opo's enclosure. - Where you keep him 99% of the time. Any what type of lighting and heat you use.
This is Opo's temporary enclosure. I am building a 4'×8' enclosure right now. This is where Opo stayed when he/she was young. All summer Opo was on the screen porch. I took 3 washing machine drip trays and put them side by side with cypress and coco coir substrate. With a hide and basking lamp. Being retired and disabled I spent a lot of time with Opo outside. Morning and evening sun. The basking lamp is a 100 w CHE. Which I am going to change to a 65 w flood light on timer and thermostat. The smaller CHE is a 65w on a thermostat. It is warming the partitioned off hide.This set up holds humidity great. Also has the same substrate. The light is 10 UVB 18 in long.
The new enclosure will basically set up the same unless you have some suggestions. Like I said I am disabled amputee with right hand and leg above the knee missing. I have prosthetics for both, the knowledge to build the enclosure and most of the time the willingness. Some days my chronic pain holds me up. I am not looking for empathy just stating the situation.
I appreciate any knowledge you can do give. You don't need to handle me with kids gloves. Any suggestions will be grateful.
Thanks for taking the time.
Ray20181125_124854.jpg
The probes and wires are in disarray but again this is just temporary.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I read in another thread where one of the members said raising a tort is like playing chess you need to be a few moves ahead all the time. I am playing defense at the moment. Lol @Tom suggested to get working on Opo's outside enclosure for next year. I think I need to act on that suggestion.
My wife says I am a procrastinator but I don't see it. :D:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stopping pyramiding in progress is a long and difficult process. I think that is what you are doing there. The newer growth looks much better. Opo looks a lot like my Daisy did at that size and she was pyramided early on.

In a couple of years, especially in your climate, I don't think you'll be able to see any pyramiding. It will be but a distant memory.

I also think its a waste of time and energy to build an indoor 4x8" enclosure for Opo now. He's big enough to live outside with a heated night box. Maybe keep the current enclosure for the occasional cold day and night, but he can be outside most of the time now. In spring, I'd start using the night box and get rid of the indoor enclosure entirely.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree with Tom. He is big enough to be outside full time now with a heated night box. Once they are the size yours is now, the pyramiding normally slows down drastically with sulcatas in particular. In your climate, I doubt you will have any problem with that now. Spend your time and money on a good night box as Tom has detailed in his threads on night box. Once this size, I keep mine outside year round even in my climate. I do keep grass growing in the entire enclosure and have plants for them to hide beneath. I have sprinklers go on 3 times a day for just 2-3 minutes during warmer weather. None of mine pyramid any more at this size. As stated, your weather in FL would be much better as well.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Stopping pyramiding in progress is a long and difficult process. I think that is what you are doing there. The newer growth looks much better. Opo looks a lot like my Daisy did at that size and she was pyramided early on.

In a couple of years, especially in your climate, I don't think you'll be able to see any pyramiding. It will be but a distant memory.

I also think its a waste of time and energy to build an indoor 4x8" enclosure for Opo now. He's big enough to live outside with a heated night box. Maybe keep the current enclosure for the occasional cold day and night, but he can be outside most of the time now. In spring, I'd start using the night box and get rid of the indoor enclosure entirely.
Thanks Tom, what is the lowest temp that Opo can stay outside during the day? The way I have Opo set up outside. Opo has a basking area.
Thanks again for your input.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I agree with Tom. He is big enough to be outside full time now with a heated night box. Once they are the size yours is now, the pyramiding normally slows down drastically with sulcatas in particular. In your climate, I doubt you will have any problem with that now. Spend your time and money on a good night box as Tom has detailed in his threads on night box. Once this size, I keep mine outside year round even in my climate. I do keep grass growing in the entire enclosure and have plants for them to hide beneath. I have sprinklers go on 3 times a day for just 2-3 minutes during warmer weather. None of mine pyramid any more at this size. As stated, your weather in FL would be much better as well.
Thank you for your input. That puts me at ease with the pyramiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, what is the lowest temp that Opo can stay outside during the day?

If it is dry, sunny and not too windy, as low as 65 should be fine. Check temps early and often to make sure he's warm enough and watch his behavior. If he tries to hide under a bush and is not out and active, it might be too cool.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If it is dry, sunny and not too windy, as low as 65 should be fine. Check temps early and often to make sure he's warm enough and watch his behavior. If he tries to hide under a bush and is not out and active, it might be too cool.
Thanks Tom, looks like I will be taking some materials back to Home Depot.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Have you thought about making an outside 4x8 night box for Opo, instead of the indoor 4x8 you had mentioned? I forget, do you have an enclosed outdoor area for him?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Have you thought about making an outside 4x8 night box for Opo, instead of the indoor 4x8 you had mentioned? I forget, do you have an enclosed outdoor area for him?
No outdoor enclosures. I let Opo take over the screen porch. When Opo first was out there Opo would poop all over the porch. My wife and I would always clean it up. After about two weeks Opo quit pooping there. They are smart animals. Anyways back to enclosures. Yep gonna build a outdoors enclosure. If I can't get my brother to help. I think I might go with a Rubbermaid type that I saw here to get one quick and then take my time to build a Tom type. I can use the Rubbermaid one after for a compost box and use all the internals for the other box. But that's my mind rambling like I am rambling right now. LOL Must be the meds!