Why own a snapping turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts, USA
I have owned a snapping turtle for over two years now and honestly it's one of the best pets I have ever enjoyed owning. They are just like any other turtle as far as care goes (just scaled up) but personality wise they seem a lot more sure of themselves and less flighty than other turtles.

Where a slider or painted turtle will go flying into the water if spooked while basking my guy with just sit there with a "Yeah, and what would you like?" look. I can even go over and give him a scratch on the chin or neck like a dog. I can also pick him up and usually the most I get is a hiss and a few kicks. He has no fear of people and even seems to enjoy free roaming around my room if I let him.

The only time he's ever tried biting is if you put your fingers in the water but that's more of a food response and many turtles do that as well. I got him as a wild caught yearling who seemed to be pretty tame and now he's about 3-4 pounds and still like a puppy dog. I have had sliders, painteds, and musks all try to bite me when handled but nothing out of my so-called "snapping" turtle.

I still do have respect for him as he is a powerful animal even at his size, I've seen him move and do things other similarly sized turtles could never do. I've heard that some are naturally tame, some you need to work with, and some grow out of it. I've caught several adult wild snappers and many of them too didn't attempt to bite so overall in my experience they are not as ferocious as they are made out to be.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
AustinASU said:
Alligator snappers are awesome. :)

I love mine! "TRAPPER"

34i2sub.jpg

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
Hm.. who knows? Same question to folks who has poisonous snakes, frogs, etc as pets.

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
I live in Louisiana so snapping turtles are EVERYWHERE. Common ones don't get to big but they eat Red Ear babies out of my pond. We have to relocate. But once there was an alligator(about two days after we found a real alligator in my pond). He was huge!!! They get giant down near Toledo Bend. I mean he came up and snapped at me. I was bigger but I don't want to lose a toe. So I left the relocating to my older brother while I played with nicer Three Toes.

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
well yea they arent cute and cuddly but they are unique and look a lot different than the average turtl. some people just want something different.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Same as to why I keep my African bull frog I'd rather wrangle a wc tegu than my cb raised since the size of a quarter 4lb frog lol

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
feline8 said:
Hm.. who knows? Same question to folks who has poisonous snakes, frogs, etc as pets.

Dart frogs bred and fed in captivity are not poisonous since they do not have access to the food that makes them so, like in the wild. You just shouldnt hold them in general because frogs are very sensitive to their environment/chemicals on your hands.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hello everyone!

This is my first post and this question is the perfect place to start and introduce myself and my girls (they're girls until proven otherwise hihi).

My very first turtle was a snapping turtle my dad brought home when I was 9 years old. I was instantly fascinated by its dinosaur-like appearance, the mix of hard and soft and its agility. I spent HOURS with my chin on the floor, watching her every move. She never bit me. Not even when I gave her "nose-kisses"... That was the beginning of my love story with turtles and tortoises :)

I'm now the proud mom of Princesse, a beautiful 3 year old Red Foot and Crystal, cutest little 3 month old hatchling 3 toe box turtle <3

Nathalie in Toronto, Canada.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
diaboliqueturtle said:
Hello everyone!

This is my first post and this question is the perfect place to start and introduce myself and my girls (they're girls until proven otherwise hihi).

My very first turtle was a snapping turtle my dad brought home when I was 9 years old. I was instantly fascinated by its dinosaur-like appearance, the mix of hard and soft and its agility. I spent HOURS with my chin on the floor, watching her every move. She never bit me. Not even when I gave her "nose-kisses"... That was the beginning of my love story with turtles and tortoises :)

I'm now the proud mom of Princesse, a beautiful 3 year old Red Foot and Crystal, cutest little 3 month old hatchling 3 toe box turtle <3

A great story :)

Welcome to the forum!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
diaboliqueturtle said:
Hello everyone!

Hi! Won't you please also go to the introduction section and tell us all about you? So many folks will miss out on learning your story otherwise, because not all read the threads in this section. Thanks!! Once more welcome!

JacksonR

5 Year Member
Well, why does anyone anything? :p

My snapper is actually "friendly." Trots over when he sees me coming toward his aquarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.