Wild 3 toed box turtle

JoyG

Location (City and/or State)
Dripping Spring
Hi,
I’m Joy.
I’ve found this box turtle in my yard. It’s been living there a while as I’ve seen it before in several areas of my yard. What is the white on its shell? Also, I’m thinking it’s female? It’s has long claws in the back, not much in the front. 0A6D3A42-5B71-4B35-BBC1-4BD40AC5C940.png It boxed up as soon as I got near.
I’ve attached pictures.
Thanks! Looking forward to learning more about it. Is it ok to post in a tortoise group?

8F31432E-AF6F-4F32-93DE-C1789C35BF74.jpeg44E26096-CF23-40E5-8882-D471FA923435.jpeg

Attachments

• 22C9C32D-6948-47AC-A856-485C86677B43.jpeg
    22C9C32D-6948-47AC-A856-485C86677B43.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is pretty cool. To have a wild one makes its home in your yard like that.

The white stuff is bone. This turtle has lost the keratin on its carapace for some reason. Maybe fire, or maybe freezing in winter. Possibly abrasion or dog attack. This shows how thin the keratin layer is.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi,
I’m Joy.
I’ve found this box turtle in my yard. It’s been living there a while as I’ve seen it before in several areas of my yard. What is the white on its shell? Also, I’m thinking it’s female? It’s has long claws in the back, not much in the front. View attachment 355663 It boxed up as soon as I got near.
I’ve attached pictures.
Thanks! Looking forward to learning more about it. Is it ok to post in a tortoise group?

View attachment 355660View attachment 355661
That looks like a fairly old Box Turtle. The white on the upper shell is exposed bone. For some reason, the scutes have come off in those white areas and left the bone exposed. This could have been from an injury of some type such as being gnawed at by rodents, a coyote, a raccoon, or a dog. Or maybe it was struck by a lawn mower.

However it happened, the bone has healed. I have seen injuries like this in which the scutes have grown back over the bone over time, but I don't think that will be the case here since the surface of the bone looks pretty non-vascular and the injured area is so extensive.

Good find! Hopefully this turtle will continue to thrive and survive.

Where is Dripping Spring?

JoyG

Dripping Spring
That is pretty cool. To have a wild one makes its home in your yard like that.

The white stuff is bone. This turtle has lost the keratin on its carapace for some reason. Maybe fire, or maybe freezing in winter. Possibly abrasion or dog attack. This shows how thin the keratin layer is.
Oh interesting! It would have been a freeze or multiple. I’m in Texas and we’ve had a few bad freezes in the last couple of years.

JoyG

Dripping Spring
That looks like a fairly old Box Turtle. The white on the upper shell is exposed bone. For some reason, the scutes have come off in those white areas and left the bone exposed. This could have been from an injury of some type such as being gnawed at by rodents, a coyote, a raccoon, or a dog. Or maybe it was struck by a lawn mower.

However it happened, the bone has healed. I have seen injuries like this in which the scutes have grown back over the bone over time, but I don't think that will be the case here since the surface of the bone looks pretty non-vascular and the injured area is so extensive.

Good find! Hopefully this turtle will continue to thrive and survive.

Where is Dripping Spring?
Texas